Alpha 1 Gen 2 install - what gear am I in?

So I've got my gimbal bearing installed (my method wasn't too orthodox, but that is another story!). I started installing the drive, almost had it pushed into the to the bolts then remembered a note I read to check that it is still in forward gear. When I took off the lower drive, I put it in forward and have not touched it since. But, as I'm installing the drive I checked the prop. It freely turns in both directions. I had expected to only freely spin in one direction. Am I missing something? Did I some how take it (the drive unit) out of forward and put it in neutral some how?

a couple of photo of the gear shift in the current position. (sorry, I could,'t gat that one rotated)

Attachments

• photo295740.jpg
    photo295740.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo295741.jpg
    photo295741.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Tension must be held on the propshaft, in forward gear, to hold it in forward gear,.....

No tension, it goes to neutral,......

Turn the shift foot to straight fore, 'n aft, while turnin' the prop shaft,..... You'll feel it go into gear,....

Then, I use a bungee strap wrapped 'round it to hold it in gear,.....

but that is another story!).

So tell Us,.....

The other story....promise you won't bash me....too much :eek:.....?
After seating the new gimbal bearing in place. I took the outside ring/race (I don't think it is actually the race, but the outside ring thing of the gimbal bearing) off the the old gimbal bearing. Put that up against the newly seated bearing and packed paper towel around the out side (between it and the bellow) in order to hold the ring in place. Then I used the trim rod and hammer to hammer the bearing in (sort of hammering in a star pattern. Doing this prevented damage to the new gimbal.

Regarding the shift foot, how do I keep the bungee hooked up while trying to install the new lower unit? (I think I'm missing something :confused:)

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think he means use the bungee on the prop keeping tension to hold it in gear.

I hate being needy!
I'm trying to attach the drive unit now (thanks for the clairification of the shift shaft/bungee cord) but can not get the drive all the way in. I've pulled it out numerous times and turned the drive shaft a bit each time, but still getting it to slide in. Anyone have an tricks to make this easier?
Attached is a pic of how far in it goes.

Attachments

• photo295910.jpg
    photo295910.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That usually is the drive shaft o-rings getting hung up (often if they were greased heavily, they will form a lock that makes installation difficult).

In his video on installing an Alpha drive, achris describes application of the "Merkick", which is a "size nine calibrated installation tool" (size eleven, in my case). Give the drive a good shove with your foot and it should pop in the rest of the way.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Do you have the engine alignment tool? When you install a new gimbal bearing, you need to use the tool to align the bearing to the coupler... Also is good practice to check your alignment during this process anyways.

Well, I read someones else's post a while back and in it he said some to the effect, I'm glad to be done that hellish project. I'm not there yet! so my drive is stuck in the position from my earlier post with the picture. It won't budge off. I've got a ratchet tiedown hooked to another trailer. There is a whole lot of tension and it still will not come off.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Gently use a cats paw or pry bar or something to try and wiggle the top or bottom.. Its most likely bound by trying to pull in a biased direction. Be very careful where you place the pry bar tho. You can very easily damage things if you put too much force in the wrong area. There are shift cables, water hose ports, oil reservoir fittings, etc that you need to be careful of. In addition, once you're done prying, you will probably have ruined the gasket in there so you should probably get another on order.

Finally got it off. Combination of pulling on it with the ratchet and pry bar. My back is tired!
I tried putting it back on but ran into the same issue, getting stuck about 1.25 inches (just the same as the picture in my earlier post).

I don't have an alignment tool. I should have ordered one when I started. Also, it is super frustrating living in Canada where everything is twice the price and three times the distance away. Coughing up the money wouldn't bad, but even trying to find a place that sells it is tough.

Any how, that's my rant. I know I should use the tool to be safe and accurate but, does the alignment tool also swivel the bearing so that it is in proper alignment?