alpha 1 gen 2 help

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice
i removed the lower unit from my 1996 alpha 1 gen 2 sterndrive and a piece of melted white plastic, 2 d shaped thin metal pieces with holes in them and some melted rubber like material fell out, also the water coupler was melted on the side of that faces the shaft. i cannot locate where these parts were and cannot locate them in a schematic. the drive functioned fine for the past 2 seasons and i was just doing some p.m. and replacing the water pump. now i have taken the entire outdrive off to try and find where these parts were and if there was a major problem. while the drive is off i am also planning on replacing the bellows . the drive bellows had some water and milky brown oil in it (not full but enough to leak out upon removal of the upper gearcase) i figure a small hole in the bellows but is lube normal in there? i will attempt to upload pics of the parts in the hope someone can i.d. them. thanks guys

Bondo

Staff member
Re: alpha 1 gen 2 help

Ayuh,... It's been run Without water,....
Those pieces Used to be the Shutters... they live at the top of the y-pipe...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bellows should be bone dry inside. Those Gen II bellows rub on the inside of the hinge pins and wear a hole in the side of them. Turn the steering hard one way and check the bellow about half way up and you'll see the worn spot. Check both sides.

The melted parts are what Bondo said. There is a new shutter system that replaces the old ones and you need to remove the exhaust elbows to install them, so get the gaskets ready. It's also a great time to check the elbows, with a view to replacing them if they are more than about 4 years old. The new ones are ceramic coated and should last a lot longer.

Chris......

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice

wow...super fast answers..THANKS GUYS!!!!! does anyone have a part number? 1996 3.0lx mercruiser.

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice

you guys are the best!!!! i assume i only need i set for the single riser on a 3.0l merc. thanks again

makinc80

Seaman Apprentice

all done...simple fix! thanks again everyone!!