Alpha 1 Gen 2 Drive Shaft Housing, Lower oil seal replacement?

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’ve separated the grat. case from the drive shaft housing on my Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive, and the spring from the drive shaft housing lower oil seal has come out with the gear case input shaft.
Can I replace this seal from the ‘outside’ or do I have to disassemble the entire drive shaft housing to get at it?
From the look of it there is a small notch which might be to assist in removal of the old seal?
These pics are looking upwards at the bottom of the drive shaft housing.

Attachments

• D7BC6779-B40D-4731-A1D1-B0386AB3B137.jpeg
    D7BC6779-B40D-4731-A1D1-B0386AB3B137.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • B3D44771-0769-4568-9613-BA10166576FB.jpeg
    B3D44771-0769-4568-9613-BA10166576FB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the gen II uses 2 seals back to back and needs the upper disassembled for seal replacement

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cheers, I feared that might be the case.
Is it a job I can do myself? I have no service tools, but have an idea that as long as Im not replacing any bearings, I can just remove the shafts and replace them?
Please could you, or anyone else, give me a quick walk through of how to disassemble the upper unit and replace those seals?

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
search"mercruiser gen ii service manual in pdf"
about the 6th one down
Cheers, much appreciated.
One more question, if I may?
The seals seem to come in a set, for the entire drive shaft housing, so it would make sense to replace the top seal (on the input shaft) while I have it apart.
Can I do this (looks like it requires disassembly of the shaft, with all its associated bearings, spacers, etc), or if its disturbed, am I into the realms of having to reset the preload by shimming?

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am pretty sure newer Gen 2 uses only 1 seal instead of 2 (ive replaced that seal on mine) , but please ask other more experienced guys like @achris ??

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Originally the lower driveshaft housing used two individual seals back to back. Updated part is a single double seal installed from the top requiring disassemble of the driveshaft housing components

If you intend to reseal the entire housing you'll need a yoke/input shaft seal and o ring, a new input shaft nut, a top cap o ring, the afore mentioned lower double seal and a vent/drain screw gasket

In order to properly install the yoke/input shaft seal you must reset the rolling torque on the double bearing pack which requires a dial inch pound torque wrench. No need to re shim anything as long as you aren't replacing bearings or gears

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Originally the lower driveshaft housing used two individual seals back to back. Updated part is a single double seal installed from the top requiring disassemble of the driveshaft housing components

If you intend to reseal the entire housing you'll need a yoke/input shaft seal and o ring, a new input shaft nut, a top cap o ring, the afore mentioned lower double seal and a vent/drain screw gasket

In order to properly install the yoke/input shaft seal you must reset the rolling torque on the double bearing pack which requires a dial inch pound torque wrench. No need to re shim anything as long as you aren't replacing bearings or gears
Hmm. I dont have a dial type inch pound torque wrench, nor do I have a spare drive shaft to insert into the upper housing output shaft.

Maybe this is one of those jobs which is best taken to a shop to be done? It looks like a couple of hours work if you have the right tools and know what youre doing, but if not...

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For replacing ONLY the seal you mentioned you don’t have to open the bearing pack and retorque it. Just remove the big nut remove yoke set and you will be good

Scott06

Admiral
Hmm. I dont have a dial type inch pound torque wrench, nor do I have a spare drive shaft to insert into the upper housing output shaft.

Maybe this is one of those jobs which is best taken to a shop to be done? It looks like a couple of hours work if you have the right tools and know what youre doing, but if not...
I use a beam type like this for setting preload on tapered roller bearings relatively affordable. Have had great results swapping ring and pinions

Torque Wrenches, 1/4" Square Drive, 0 - 80 in.-lbs. and 0 - 9 NM Torque