Alpha 1 Gen 2 delayed neutral??

Boogie651

Recruit
Hi there guys. Was just wondering if any of you have had this problem. I have a 1998 5.7 Mercruiser with the alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive. The problem is that when I shift from either forward or reverse into neutral, the remote handle clicks into the neutral position but the boat will continue. After 3-5 seconds usually it will spring back into the neutral position and I'm able to shift into the other gear, but returning to neutral is the same thing. I checked the cables for pinches crushed spots, sharp bend etc.. I checked the cable adjustment according to achris video and they are dead on. The gear select cable moves very freely when the engine is off by hand. Also it finds neutral just fine when there is no load on the prop. I just installed a new motor and took it out on the water and found this issue. I didn’t have this issue with the other motor? Has any one heard about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
No, there's a procedure in the manual for checking the switch, and it doesn't need to be done on the water.

Boogie651

Recruit
Thanks for the help pointing me in the right direction. I started the boat in the driveway, and manually moved the “Y plate” to engage the Shift Interrupt Switch. It would not kill the motor. When I took a screw driver and pressed the switch a little further, motor would die. Took off the switch and bent the arm just about 2-3cm and the switch now engaged properly. Just came off the water and neutral is now engaging instantly. I think this might be a temporary fix and is a sign of the switch going bad, not sure.