Alpha 1 drive re-install o ring question

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
I have posted last year question with an issue with the shift cable being fused to the gimbal housing and I started working on it this year, here is my issue. My exact name for parts might not be correct please bare with me.

I decided to by a used gimbal housing. I replaced bellow, shift cable, o rings, my big problem is the big o ring that goes over the shaft on to the round housing on the outdrive .The clearance is less than a 1/10 of a inch and there is no way that's going to fit, the old o ring is the same as the new. Of corse I don't have the old gimbal housing to see the difference of the "shaft hole" other than that it's a good fit. I have read post that that ring is a must to keep water out of the bellows but the only thing I can see that will work right now is putting sealer in there....any body ever ran into this? Or give me insight.
Thanks in advance,
Denny

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Alpha 1 drive re-install o ring question

That ring gets glued into the front of the bellhousing, it doesn't go over the front of the drive housing... Like so...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bellhousing.jpg
    Bellhousing.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 5

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Duh what an idiot I am,,,,,,,so if I'm reading right the o ring goes/glued in the shaft hole just before the bellows start and when you install the drive it goes up against the shaft housing not over....thanks a million
I swear it was over the housing not on the end when I pulled it, I'm glad I asked!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Duh what an idiot I am,,,,,,,so if I'm reading right the o ring goes/glued in the shaft hole just before the bellows start and when you install the drive it goes up against the shaft housing not over....thanks a million
I swear it was over the housing not on the end when I pulled it, I'm glad I asked!

Correct, and you're welcome. :D

cr2k

Captain

The drive compresses it to seal.