Almost Sunk… where do I start to salvage boat

IselaLuv

Cadet
I was happy to have gotten the boat started, it was running smoothly, had stopped then went to go and the thing wouldn’t start. Got blown into the marina luckily there was a dock and I tied it up there. Walked back to towing vehicle which had a flat, well decided to get back in the morning, the coast guard was about to tow it because it was sinking. Well electrical obviously got messed up. I rinsed good and about to start the salvage process… I figured start with changing battery, cables, starter, then I hear about pickling the engine, would appreciate it if anyone could share if this ever happened to them and what to do. Here are some pics of what the poor starter looks like, but can’t upload white like foam on it…yes in hindsight I should have left the battery disconnected, don’t need to tell me how smart that was… 🤦🏻‍♀️ Oh well you boat and you learn right? Or sink like in my case…

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Boat get swamped all the time. A few fluid changes, and electrical drying and get er running ASAP(preferably within 24 hrs). Starter will need some TLC later, but get it running and running warm for at least an hour. Then another Oil Change

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Salt or fresh water?
I have a bit of experience with this 🤦

IselaLuv

Cadet
Salt or fresh water?
I have a bit of experience with this 🤦

Salt water 🥺

IselaLuv

Cadet
Salt water 🥺
Omg I just read your posts, that just hurt to read, here I am feeling sorry for myself. Wow! I hope you got your baby back on track. My goodness
Boat get swamped all the time. A few fluid changes, and electrical drying and get er running ASAP(preferably within 24 hrs). Starter will need some TLC later, but get it running and running warm for at least an hour. Then another Oil Change
thank you!! I needed to hear that… the 90amp fuses for the starter and battery completely came apart. Hope that means they did their job and saved the day. Rinsed the hell out of, dried and about to start the oil draining process…

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the drive, salt water will be in the bellows

Get the motor running

Pull starter and alternator and pull them apart, clean them, oil them and you may be able to save them

IselaLuv

Cadet
You must find LEAK asap. I fear leak is due to rot. If so, it may not be worth the effort and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
There is no rot, it was a very small leak… I thought I had fixed it replacing the bellows which were real bad. Didn’t help that the bilge pump stopped working. There is no water in the oil, the only thing that looks awful is the starter and fuses the battery is connected to, those 90amp fuses came all apart.322BD250-6F0A-4BA4-AE7E-0F3658D10877.jpeg

Attachments

• 23A24949-AD97-47F2-97E0-9FD5B418B4F3.jpeg
    23A24949-AD97-47F2-97E0-9FD5B418B4F3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 5DC8B4BF-8174-4918-A4D6-972EF5072208.jpeg
    5DC8B4BF-8174-4918-A4D6-972EF5072208.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

nola mike

Vice Admiral
thank you!! I needed to hear that… the 90amp fuses for the starter and battery completely came apart. Hope that means they did their job and saved the day.
That wasn't their job... Most of the damage was electrolysis.
I replaced *literally* (I think) every positive connection on my boat. Just finished the nav and anchor lights yesterday

gwhitten

Cadet
Check your freeze plugs on the engine. Someone put a Truck engine in my Ebko, and the steel freeze plugs eventually failed. It was inland fresh water fortunately, but the engine was pumping water into the boat!!!