Almost pooped my pants...Hit a piece of rebar!

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
So I'm cruising down the river yesterday in my fancy new(ish) boat. Got 35 hrs on the clock now.

Anyway, I digress...cruising down the river and I'm behind a big ol' guy...maybe 30 ft with dual motors and the driver way up on the fly bridge.

He's going substantially slower than I'd like too. Maybe 28 MPH. I like to cruise around 35ish. I finally decide it looks clear enough for a little money shot and decide to pass. I get out from behind him and just make it into his wake, and give her the goose to get over the big wave so I can go around.

We go up...I look down and I'll be damned in there isn't an 8 ft. 6x6 with a piece of rebar sticking out of it right in our path. I try to steer a bit, but coming down his wave, the boat pretty much goes where it wants...and I hit the dang thing. I hear it thud it's way under the boat, but more to the passenger side than the middle, so the prop didn't hit it.

Fortunately, God was smiling on me and I must have hit just the wood as I couldn't even find a scratch under the boat.

But man...her cherry is definitely popped now...friggin rebar!

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Almost pooped my pants...Hit a piece of rebar!

Damn that was a close one.....worse part is the guy in the 30'er was telling the rest of his crew....'hey watch this!"

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Almost pooped my pants...Hit a piece of rebar!

Was talking with a guy last weekend who nailed a railroad tie while running 20 miles offshore! :confused:

It took out a prop and bent a shaft. He limped home on one motor. Geez, if that didn't sound like MY kind of luck...

Glad you didn't hurt anything.