All this talk about 3M 4200/5200...one more beef....

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there an alternative to 3M that won't discolor (white) after cured? I've used 4200/5200 for years and have absolutely hated it when it turns yellow. Unfortunately i trust 3M products...does sikaflex product discolor like 3 products?

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: All this talk about 3M 4200/5200...one more beef....

They make 5200 in black also, maybe try that?

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, black doesn't always work when bedding hardware on a white hull...... cosmetic thing ;-)

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wood, me thinks that may be a "permanent" installation? epoxy and all. Does white sikaflex or white boatlife retain it's white color?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

White marine tex will retain it's color but is more like a putty consistancy

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For deck hardware I use 3m 4000 ..

However..I would also say that most deck hardware that I install has little to no sealant showing when done.

Is there a certain application that your asking about .. where there is a lot of sealant showing that turns yellow ?

YD.

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yacht Dr. , I guess it may just be me but I WANT to see some of that squeeze out, reassures me that i have sealed ALL the way around a fitting/hardware application. I don't tighten to the point of squeezing all the sealant out but enough that i get a small bead arountd the hardware. i guess i could use a blade and cut that bit off after curing....... that would stop the yellowing look.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

"beads" showing has no purpose ..

Use Mineral spirits and clean all that extra squeezed out caulk away when its still wet. Paper towels work great for this purpose.

YD.

Edit : You should not only have a little sealant coming out..but More than usual totally around your hardware ( You know its sealed the best you can at that point ). Clean up is manditory for proper bedding :) .

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used sika flex a lot with good results, just make sure its the UV stuff. The only discoloring issue I've had with sika flex is it turning a pinkish color. There was a recall on the stuff at one point for this issue. After the recall was dealt with all seemed well for a while but lately I've been seeing pink discoloration again. Sika says there is no issues with the current product and suggest that it may be a particular cleaning product that is causeing it to turn pink. I haven't been able to figure out which cleaning product that might be. Kind of a shame cause it otherwise a great product. I'll continue to use it but will be weary of the discoloration.

YD I agree with your advice in cleaning the sealant while its still wet. However one application that is common to leave the overflow bead is around the washers when installing outboards. That might just be a nit pickey sport fishing thing but I see it on a lot of outboard installs.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

YD I agree with your advice in cleaning the sealant while its still wet. However one application that is common to leave the overflow bead is around the washers when installing outboards.

I dont know the reason for why you would have an overflow bead around the washers or fitting in general.. its still serves no purpose IMO.. ( other then if you dont prep that bond point beyond the seal point around your fittings then it will only be an even more intrusive point of water getting into the bond ).

You do prep Your surfaces before you Bed your hardware..Right ?? .. That extra goo coming out has Nothing .. I repeat.. Nothing do to with water coming in from your through bolts or screws !

Bedding hardware is not just put some gue on there and slapping it on..

Matter of fact .. if you turn your bolts..your unsealing your sealant...turn the nuts..not the bolts.

YD.

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't disagree with you, but it is a common practice on many sport fishing boats. I think it just seems to create the "illusion" of proper sealing, or "proof" that there is plenty of sealant. There are a lot of things that production boat builders will do based on customer perception alone whether its right or wrong, same thing with cars or any product for that matter.