All the weight on my shoulders....(Advice)

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice
So I just installed the floor to the stringers (5200 + screws) and waiting for everything to dry so I can sand and start to cover with glass. Over the past few days I have made a mock up of the floor (2'x2' square piece of 3/4 marine grade ply) and did a little test with the glass I am going to use (1st layer-10oz cloth + 2nd layer-1.5 oz CSM). I notice that the CSM eats up a lot of resin and really adds some weight to the floor.

Considering that I have already added weight by using the marine plywood (the boat had exterior grade), using more foam (originally the foam only came half way up the stringers, now it comes all the way up to the floor), and using a few tubes of fast cure 5200 to bond stuff up, I am starting to get worried about the weight being added to the boat. I am starting to think that I only want to do one layer of either the 10 oz cloth or the CSM. I think doing both of them might be over kill considering the wood is very high quality. Can I get away with just using the 10oz cloth and then maybe putting another coat of resin over that or am I asking for trouble. Even though I have the material I rather the boat perform well and eat the money I spent.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: All the weight on my shoulders....(Advice)

One layer of 10oz cloth should do you just fine...and it probly wont be that much added weight once completed.

You dont have to eat the money...thats why man invented ebay and creiglist!

Friscoboater

Captain

I added just what you did and I gained performance without all that water logged wood and foam.

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice

I added just what you did and I gained performance without all that water logged wood and foam.

Yes I was just thinking about that too, definitely lose some weight from all the water logged stuff (not to mention there was water sitting on top of the foam when I first pulled the floor, it wasn't draining anywhere). Plus the boat did have CSM down originally. I was just doing the math from the formulas given on this site in the sticky thread and if my math is correct: I have about (conservative estimate) 75 square feet of floor to cover. 1.5 oz CSM takes 4oz of resin to saturate a square foot, so that gives me 300oz of resin, the 10 oz cloth takes about 2.5 oz per square foot, so that gives me 192oz of resin, giving me a total of 492oz or roughly 30lbs of weight. I don't know how much the cloth weights but 30 extra pounds doesn't seem that bad. I was wacking my test fixture with a hammer and the two layers together didn't even crack.