All confidence and no brains AD-10-M

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

ArneA

Seaman
Re: All confidence and no brains AD-10-M

Yep, when searching it is best to be a little on the general side. Get too specific and it chokes on it...
Finally coming up with parts. Picked up a pressure two line tank today but still looking for the recoil starter. Missed one on ebay for $9. If anyone has one reasonably priced with shipping , let me know.
While at the local boat dealer today they had an old outboard that they think is to be trashed. They told me that it ran 20 years ago and since then has sat in their old parts area. I told them that I would take it if it was to be thrown out. It was a Johnson 5 hp with the numbers 1017254 and T-28. You folks can let me know if it is a diamond in the rough or just another boat anchor. Knowing what is worth would help me decide also whether or not to grab it.

Last edited:

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Arne, it sounds like you come across a TN-28 Johnson 5hp. A very good model of motor and very dependable.

Knowing what is worth would help me decide also whether or not to grab it.

If you are getting motors and fixing them up to resell, then I will tell that it is not a very profitable.

Reasons for my statement:

* cost (Most motor you come across will be in need of replacement coils, points, condensers, carburetor kit, impeller(water pump), gear oil change, new spark plugs, replacement fuel hoses, and maybe even spark plug wires and fuel pump. Then there is the lower unit seals if it is leaking or water intrusion.

The repair of a common OMC (Johnson, Evinrude, Gale) motor cost in parts are anywhere from about $75 to $200.

Most of the motors from the 1950's and 1960's in good running condition usually sell for about $150 to $300.

** So your margin of profit is very slim to almost none. The price of the motor does not even reflect the expense of your time.

Most people enjoy fixing motors up for their enjoyment and use. Very few antique outboards in good condition command a profitable sum of money. You will see a lot of very over inflated prices of motors on ebay, Craig's list, or other sources. Those motors don't usually sell until the seller lowers his/her price down. There are few sellers that snooker an uninformed buyer or a collector that his/her heart set on a motor due to emotional reasons.

The reasons people purchase older outboards:

- They are easy to work on to do your own maintenance and repairs.:)

- They are awesome and dependable motors when properly repaired and maintained:)

- Very economical to purchase for enjoyment and as dependable fishing motors.:cool:

If you do want to get the TN 28 Johnson 5hp, then there are plenty of guys that would love to help out, but it would be best to start a new post on the TN 28, so it does not cause confusion with guidance of repairs.

If you don't watch out Arne, you will end up with a garage full of beauties like the rest of us!! ;) :D:D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

As nice as the Johnson TN-series motors are, they're not particularly valuable - which is good for collectors! They made thousands of them and because they were good little motors, a large percentage of them are still around. As such, they're not hard to find and prices tend to be pretty reasonable. They are generally $20-$50 motors at swap meets...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, the population of TD and TN motors is like fleas on a dog's back. I see them on Craigslist every day. Good old motors, but they built train loads of them.