All confidence and no brains AD-10-M

ArneA

Seaman
All you folks gave me so much help with my cd14 which now runs like a swiss watch that I got the
fix er up bug. Help is needed again. Paid $40 for an AD-10-M, serial # 1466044 last night and already way over my head. Its been sitting in a barn for 20 years. Compression 75lbs dry. First time it had been turned over in all those years. Looking for a recoil starter. Its missing that part and a face plate or control panel plate with its surrounding rubber grommet. No spark. One coil looks new the other is toast. Tiller handle was froze up and wouldnt turn until I used wd40. Now it turns but it takes two hands. I am in over my head I think and could surely use the genius input from all you admirals to seaman. I'm thinking that the success on the cd14 went to my head. Just don't seem to know where to start. I am wondering if many of the AD-10-M parts will be the same as for the cd14. Had a lot of Utube links sent to me to show how to do the cd14 but after looking last night, I didnt find any for the AD10m. Pictures work for me and probably for most people who are overconfident and under knowledgeable.
Thanks,
Arne

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: All confidence and no brains AD-10-M

As you can see, there are a lot of similarities between the CD and AD. But the powerhead is bigger on the AD to make more horses. Has a bigger hood to cover it too.

ArneA

Seaman

As you can see, there are a lot of similarities between the CD and AD. But the powerhead is bigger on the AD to make more horses. Has a bigger hood to cover it too.
Is the carb kit from NAPA the same as for the CD14 ? I took the carb off of this AD10M and boiled it then blew it out with high pressure air. I noticed that the needle valve that was in there does not have a small wire clip on it that attaches to the indent on the needle like the cd14 did. There is no indent on the needle at all so I need to find out which is correct. Would someone happen to know the NAPA number for the carb kit for the AD10M ?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ahhh the old Fleetwin in disguise. Everything below the lower cowl is the same as the CD-14, but as F_R stated, the powerhead and hood is different. You'll have to completely disassemble the tiller handle and scrape all the corrosion out of the shaft mechanisms and re-lube it all. If these have plastic bushings, the corrosion will make the plastic squeeze down hard on the moving parts and lubing them up won't help a bit. I believe the carb kit should be the same. I don't know the number though.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The original float needle in both engines was steel with no clip. That old style is replaced by the new one ones with a soft tip. The soft tip requires the clip to drag it off the seat.

Bottom line, the needle has been replaced in your CD, but not your FD. If you put a kit in it, it will have a clip too.

nwcove

Admiral

if it is the same as a cd-14, the sierra (napa) # for the carb kit "should be" 18-7043

ArneA

Seaman

The original float needle in both engines was steel with no clip. That old style is replaced by the new one ones with a soft tip. The soft tip requires the clip to drag it off the seat.

Bottom line, the needle has been replaced in your CD, but not your FD. If you put a kit in it, it will have a clip too.
Well, the carb has been worked on before. It has a plastic float and a rubber tipped needle but there is no indent on the needle for a clip. I have an extra needle from my cd14 with the indent for the clip...Just have to go now and find the clip. I hate to spend $18 for a whole new carb kit just to get the clip. Another question is how do I know what number coil and points to buy?. I have the omc number but I think getting an omc coil is probably more expensive than my local NAPA store down the block.
What did the supreme mariner mean by FD ? I had a CD before and now am working on a AD. I don't know what is meant by FD

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

napa part number for coils is 18-5181, just search the sierra site, points ,coils, its all there.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I think FR just typed FD (18hp) instead of AD (7.5hp). Yes, the carb kits are the same. They fit many engines as they threw in a few extra gaskets in there. And the coils and points are the same from the early 50's to the mid 70's on pretty much all engines from 3hp to 40hp. If you're gonna keep doing this (and you will!) you be buying em bulk soon. I usually get 8 at a time :)

nwcove

Admiral

if you're looking for odd's n ends for your project, google doug penn, a real good guy, and may have all the cosmetic parts you need!

ArneA

Seaman

if you're looking for odd's n ends for your project, google doug penn, a real good guy, and may have all the cosmetic parts you need![/QUOTE
I have been typing a search for sierra and have found everything except sierra marine parts...Anyone got the link for finding parts from sierra ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sorry 'bout the slip of the fingers. FD is 18hp. I meant AD.

Anyhoo, iboats sells sierra. That stuff is all on the iboats marine store pages.

The earliest rubber tipped needles from OMC had problems. They did not have the clip and they would stick up in the seat and the motor would quit running. It was especially troublesome with the 3hp with gravity feed. That is why the design was changed to include the clip.

nwcove

Admiral

marineengine.com, it lists sierra parts (napa)

ArneA

Seaman

I can't find a link to Sierra but here's a couple of helpful links;

http://www.penn.itgo.com/

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/articles.htm

Here's a link for Searra I think;

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/engine-and-drive-parts/

And this last one is where I get parts from;

http://www.ganotech.com/

Good Luck with Your motor.
Steve A W
Been trying to support Iboats store but cant find gaskets and other parts for the AD10M like power head gasket and other stuff. I dont see anything for AD10M gaskets. When I type in the OMC number it doesnt give me anything.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

ArneA,

You have a good bunch of guys helping you out. Your in good hands!

:)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, the guys here at iboats really are the best. F_R is a friend of mine and I respect him greatly. I read his posts with great interest and there are times they make me chuckle. It's because of the humor he adds to them.