All black boat

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I am planning on painting my fiberglass tri-hull matte black or a semi gloss black and was wondering the pros and cons if this? I've read alot of stuff online about the boat getting too hot from the sun and how the fiberglass breaks down. I live in Northern Canada so we don't get the ultra hot temps like the ppl in the Southern states. Thanks

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: All black boat

There was a thread here a while back that a guy did that with a tri-hull, it was a heck of a nice looking boat and I believe he was in California where it does get quite a bit of sun, I would think that it would take more dedication to keep it looking good, but if your committed to doing it, I can't see any reason not to, it does make for a great looking ride.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Even in the Artic, an All Black boat would be Too Hot for myself...

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very nice boat ezmobee ... I am just debating what brand of paint I should use... something very durable and can hold up to some abuse. Thanks

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MTboayguy is right. I have always been partial to a dark blue color on boats (live in NC), and the maintance to keep it looking good is much more. It does however, hide water marks if you have alot of slime where you boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Never for me, especially on any deck portions. Hopefully you don't want black seats too. I understand you're in Canada, but here a black boat with black seats would be unbearable and actually dangerous for bare skin. I suspect that would be true in June and July even in your locale. It's not necessarily about the ambient temp; more about direct sunlight.

As to upkeep. Have you ever owned a black car? :eek: ;)

SparkieBoat

Captain

white seats would contrast with the black nicely I would think

condorsun

Cadet

My boat is black with metal flake im restoring it and it does need a new clear coat but for a 35 year old boat black looks great.

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am actually going to put in a light/medium grey carpet and seats in my boat, this will also be covering the whole deck area. I was thinking about picking up some of that rustoleum bottom black paint and doing my whole boat if its durable enough and won't get banged up. Have you guys used this product at all that can give me some feedback for the rustoleum paint or is there a marine paint out there thats extremely strong?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I can't see any reason to paint your boat any color other than the one you want to take care of, we all have a different level of dedication to our boats, cars, ATV's Sleds and what ever toys you have, I admire those that are willing to put the time in to keep those toys looking great and as far as black boats I always do a double take when I see one, if that is what you want to paint it, then have a ball, I will admire it when I pass you in the water and have much respect for your dedication, I look forward to seeing the finished product, make sure and post pictures..We will all drool and wish we had that much dedication!

:D