Alkylate fuel?

RavisLe

Recruit
Hello everyone,

just traveled back from Germany. We went boating with my family on some large lake in Bavaria. I noticed there was no bad smell or smoke from exhaust. I asked at the rental place and they said everyone is using an alkylate fuel in Germany.

Do you guys use it? I have Yamaha F60 outboard and decided to buy bulk and test it out.
I was wondering what would be the biggest engine you can use it? 200-300hp?

Have a great day!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its the stuff they sell at the local box stores for emergency fuel. however at $24/gallon vs $3/gallon. its not like its flying off the shelves.

its just fuel refined from natural gas vapors. it has the same BTU per gallon as standard dino squeezings. its just more expensive

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like an interesting type of fuel but $$$$$$$.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you mean E-0.

rec 90 is what your local gas station calls it to be able to charge you more.

the BTU capacity of E0 and alkylate is the same

RavisLe

Recruit
I found some company in Europe, alkylate seller, they asking like 9-10usd per gallon in Europe. That is like twice cheaper than it is here...
No wonder why nobody wants to buy it here

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I found some company in Europe, alkylate seller, they asking like 9-10usd per gallon in Europe. That is like twice cheaper than it is here...
No wonder why nobody wants to buy it here
because pump swill is only $3 per gallon

RavisLe

Recruit
Okay, this is what I found:

REC 90 is the same gasoline just without ethanol. Basically, it was popular in Germany in early 80ies. They ghosted out in EU due to low quality.

Octane number is below 90, which they don't sell in Europe at all and doesn't suggest to pour in your nice outboards and other engines.

Compare to alkylate, alkylate octane number is 94-95. Shelf life up to 5 years.

And if you care the nature, go for it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
dont confuse RON vs R+M/2 octane ratings. your E0 which is what you are calling Rec-90 is a 90 octane on the Ron+Mon/2 US scale. the EU uses only the RON scale