Alignment Tool

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just received my after market alignment tool and went to work to give it a preliminary quickie test (I don't want to make the same mistake I did with my starter and assume it is fine). Right off the bat I am having nothing but trouble. I have a spline shaft that I can insert about 1/4 in to the coupler which is fine because I know the engine is not aligned yet. I tried the same with the alignment tool and it dead stops on the gimbal bearing. I greased it still nothing. Then I got out my digital caliper and measured the 3 stages of the tool and I found them to be out of tolerance or at least I think. The measurements were: first stage 1.000" sb: 1.010", second stage is: 1.1815" sb: 1.150", third stage is: 1.3815 but sb: 1.375. Did I get a defective tool or did I get the wrong tool? My engine is a 1988 4.3 ltr. and the drive is an Alpha One, Gen1. The gimbal bearing is the sealed one (non-greasable), the coupler is part #18643A5 and the spline is part #814819A3. Do you think I have a bad alignment tool or wrong tool for my application

Attachments

• Alignment Tool.jpg
    Alignment Tool.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 13

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
your alignment tool is the post ! the tool ?
the boat does a distortion then you have to use the tool and the tool is putting it in ..
use the video to adjust the motor and the tool is in total..
put some grease on the tool ..

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I just received my after market alignment tool and went to work to give it a preliminary quickie test (I don't want to make the same mistake I did with my starter and assume it is fine). Right off the bat I am having nothing but trouble. I have a spline shaft that I can insert about 1/4 in to the coupler which is fine because I know the engine is not aligned yet. I tried the same with the alignment tool and it dead stops on the gimbal bearing. I greased it still nothing. Then I got out my digital caliper and measured the 3 stages of the tool and I found them to be out of tolerance or at least I think. The measurements were: first stage 1.000" sb: 1.010", second stage is: 1.1815" sb: 1.150", third stage is: 1.3815 but sb: 1.375. Did I get a defective tool or did I get the wrong tool? My engine is a 1988 4.3 ltr. and the drive is an Alpha One, Gen1. The gimbal bearing is the sealed one (non-greasable), the coupler is part #18643A5 and the spline is part #814819A3. Do you think I have a bad alignment tool or wrong tool for my application
What's sb? Those dimensions are correct, the others aren't.

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's sb? Those dimensions are correct, the others aren't.
sb = should be. Then the question is did I order the wrong tool for my application or did I get a tool with sloppy dimensions. That's why I listed all the components that come in touch with the tool when aligning. If the tool is correct for my set up then it is more or less clear why it stops at the gimbal bearing. It may even already stop when touching the splines in the coupler because both measurements (stage #2 and #3 are more than what they should be. On the other hand I find it weird that both false measurements are off by the same fractions 1.1815 and 1.3815 and the first stage is less than what it should be which leads me to believe that I may the wrong tool. A tool that was designed maybe for something other, even though the ad on Amazon says: GIMBAL BEARING ALIGN AND INSTALL KIT FOR MERCRUISER FOR ALPHA FOR BRAVO FOR OMC FOR COBRA FOR VOLVO

Last edited:

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
some youtube video the tool did a wrong diameter smaller ..
lookup all those videos ....amazon posts the alignment tool good/bad...

nola mike

Vice Admiral
sb = should be. Then the question is did I order the wrong tool for my application or did I get a tool with sloppy dimensions. That's why I listed all the components that come in touch with the tool when aligning. If the tool is correct for my set up then it is more or less clear why it stops at the gimbal bearing. It may even already stop when touching the splines in the coupler because both measurements (stage #2 and #3 are more than what they should be. On the other hand I find it weird that both false measurements are off by the same fractions 1.1815 and 1.3815 and the first stage is less than what it should be which leads me to believe that I may the wrong tool. A tool that was designed maybe for something other, even though the ad on Amazon says: GIMBAL BEARING ALIGN AND INSTALL KIT FOR MERCRUISER FOR ALPHA FOR BRAVO FOR OMC FOR COBRA FOR VOLVO
Sounds like you got a bum tool. The dimensions are the same for most (all?) I/O applications.

flashback

Captain
May want to try another caliper for comparison. If you have access to a lathe you could turn it down but you couldn't add to the first stage. That said I think you could still get accurate grease readings.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I looked up the dimensuons for my alignment tool right here on Iboats, then found a guy on Ebay that makes them. When I recieved it, firstbthing I did was check dimensions...there were right on the money ( I am a toolmaker so precision measurements areceasy to check). It only cost me 25 bucks with shipping, couldnt make my own for that much.

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the measurements about 10 times just to make sure. I checked the caliper for ZERO being 000000 and it was always the same. But I will do it again using a different caliper, good idea. If the measurement had been correct I would say it is just a matter of getting the engine lined up close enough to dead center so I can get the tool in. The alignment may be off too far preventing the tool from going in past the gimbal bearing. But since the measurements are off I don't know where to begin. I wish I had an old gimbal bearing lying around to see if it slips over the tool or not. Then I would know for sure. I also contacted the seller asking him to provide me with the actual measurements of the tool that he sells. Let's see what comes out of this. I had a good buddy with a full machine shop who would micro-measure this for me and turn it down if it was too thick, but unfortunately he passed away some time ago. I guess you are right Nola, looks like I got a bum alignment tool. Probably will have to return it

airshot

Rear Admiral
Calipers are not what we call a precision neasuring tool in my trade. Much better than a yard stick of course. The fits are generally only a coupe/ three thousands which is difficult to measurecwith a xaliper to that degree of accuracy. A persons feel can be that far off. Look up your outdrive model and get the dinensions that the tool should be made to and check yours. Using the caliper for outside measurement is better than using the caliper for inside measurement...The fit is close, very close, the alignment tool must be inserted properly and the alignment needs to be pretty close to begin with before the tool will even begin to go in!!!

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anybody know the precise inside diameter of the gimbal bearing in inches?

airshot

Rear Admiral
No cant help with that but Mercury has posted the exact dimensions the alignment tool needs to be if you look it up.

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
The forum has it listed in the stickies..
I looked, couldn't find anything. Can you tell me where you saw it. Remember I am looking for the gimbal bearing specifications, specifically the inside diameter. Not the measurements of the alignment tool. I know what they are. Thanks

flashback

Captain
I looked, couldn't find anything. Can you tell me where you saw it. Remember I am looking for the gimbal bearing specifications, specifically the inside diameter. Not the measurements of the alignment tool. I know what they are. Thanks
Ok, I thought you were looking for the tool. I don't recall seeing anything on the bearing, but will pass it on if I run into it.