Air Travel

NYMINUTE

Captain
Haven't flown anywhere since 9-11, no reason to.<br />Going to Floriduh at Xmas. What am I to expect at the security checks? Are they as confused and slow as the media presents? Crowded I expect. Thanks all :eek:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Air Travel

hello<br /> about the dumbest thing I saw last summer at ORF was a scantly clad large breasted young lass, showing some gaurdsmen with m16's, some pictures. she had about 5 or 6 young men mesmerized. as we proceeded to the xray screening the minimum wage TSA worker was confiscating a pair of 2" long fingenail scissors from a woman with a baby in her arms, another in a carrige and a toddler. the scissors have blunt ends and are designed specifically NOT to cut flesh, any of you out there that have had young ones understand the need to trim baby fingernails. any way in the end they took the scissors. this whole time the "security natl gaurdsmen never looked away from the girls chest and pics:) :) . all I could do was shake my head at the stupidity of it.<br /> my feelings of the TSA is kinda like most rent a cops. they just dont have the training and the common sense but they fill the warm bady requirement

NYMINUTE

Captain

Sounds like another adventure. All this to visit the in-laws. Isn't there a law on the books that would prevent my having to attend this trip? Tried afraid to fly, failed based on prior flying. Offered to bring in-laws here, but it is Indiana, Heck I wouldn't come here either.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I haven't traveled by commercial air since my Dad died in 1991. The airline canceled my flight and I finally got to the cemetery after everyone else had left. :mad: <br /><br />I now drive everywhere. Just too much hassle, uncertainty and wasted time to fly. It probably takes longer to drive from IN to FL than to fly, provided planes are on time, but you are on your schedule in your car/truck and in control. You can also carry your trusty pocketknife.<br /><br />Expect to spend 2+ hours at the terminal before boarding (if boarding happens on schedule) and at least an hour at your destination before getting out. Prepare to be a sheep in a herd. Prepare for delays and flight cancellations. <br /><br />If I were going to FL from here, I would drive, and The Hideout is farther from MIA than Indy.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, here at KCI, getting to your gate has really improved in the last year. I'm not sure what's going on at other airports, but TSA has lightened up just a little. Don't get me wrong... They are still picky about alot of small things like fingernail clippers, etc.<br /><br />When 911 happened, lines took forever to get through, but now they are fairly quicker. Airport police still will not allow curbside parking, even for a minute. I have top security clearance for the entire airport, but TSA still makes me take my steel toe shoes off everytime. Oh well, the price we pay for security, I can live with it.<br /><br />Don't worry about it... I flew to Buffalo, Detroit, and South Bend last year for my job, and it all went really smooth. I'm sure the holidays will slow things down a bit! Hey... nothing wrong with Indiana. I loved South Bend!!!

radar750

Seaman

NY, This is from a guy who is at the airport almost every day. On any given day the system can<br />run smoothly, however it does not take much to screw it up. Weather deleys or traffic stacking up at any hub can affect you, even more so at the time of year you are flying.Winter has is own deleys, snow,deicing and so on. Xmas has its own deleys due to crowds.If you trust your airline check all luggage at the curb ( a good tip helps)<br />and have no carry on bags this will save you time and a line at the counter.Be prepaired for TSA, have your shoes ready to come off,get rid of change,keys, and dont try to bring on anything like clippers sissors ect. Be prepaired to wait,have reading materiel and snacks for the kids.Bring any phone #s you may need if you have flight deleys. Make sure all tickets and boarding passes are in order and that you all have proper ID.Do not be late,Perpair for the worst,hope for the best.

NYMINUTE

Captain

If it wasn't winter I would have drove. The things we do for love??? :D

LadyFish

Admiral

The airports I've traveled have settled down a bit over the last year or so.<br /><br />I learned quickly to check everything, no carry-on bags because they will check them before you enter the gate area and often times, when you are ready to board the plane.<br /><br />Also, don't wear shoes that have steel shanks, they will set off the detectors everytime. Underwire bras are another item that always draw suspicion. Wear shoes that are easy to get off and on since chances are they will make you take them off anyway.<br /><br />I don't know why, but every sinlge time I fly I get pulled over to the side for a more detailed check at the gate entrance. They choose certain ones from the line and for some reason they think I look suspicious.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It isnt bad at all.<br /><br />Just dont bring anything sharp at all in your carryon. Put all metal items, cell phone, wallet, belt, coat, EVERYTHING in your carryon, or the plastic bins they give you.<br /><br />Just be prepared and you wont have any problems.<br /><br />The TSA and Gaurdsmen are there as a deterrent, not to catch bad guys (there is a difference). If any bads guys are really smart, they could get stuff by them. That is why we have undercover people in airports. Plus us citizens must do our part too.<br /><br />Now, the check in people are as useless as ever! :D <br /><br />Ken

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

NYM just remember to leave your underwire bra at home and you'll be fine. ;)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

LMAO @ MRLF ... <br /><br />I hate when they make me take mine off in the terminal .. embarassing!<br /><br />I haven't had too many troubles myself.<br /><br />just plan ahead and expect for a few minutes of extra bs. nothing too complicated should come of things unless you're of the unlucky.<br /><br />I hate the Denver airport anyways and it was the worst I've delt with flying out of the mid-west..<br /><br />as long as you're not transporting firearms you should be ok.

KaGee

Admiral

Read the link Bob posted, follow directions and you will have a Cool Yule!<br /><br />Have flown often in the last two years and things are much better now. You are getting concerned over little.<br /><br />Remember not to lock your luggage and take valuables with you.<br /><br />Throw your car keys, loose change, watch in your carry on bag.<br /><br />Wear soft soled shoes.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I travel for business and pleasure regularly and<br />have just returned from a trip from Gulfport to Monterey. Regional Jet from GPT to ATL, 767 to LAX, and Saab 340 to MRY. I had both checked and carry on luggage. The flights were on time, security was tight but very functional, the TSA personel were pleasent and competent, and the airline personel were... airline personel. <br />I discovered that the shoes I was wearing had steel shanks. That caused approximately a five minute delay as it triggered the full up search at GPT and I took them off when I checked through security at MRY. Even with that it took no more than 15 minutes to go through security.<br />My baggage arrived when I did at both ends and at most retrieving it delayed my departure from the terminals by 15 minutes.<br />The weather was good on both ends on both flights, but the problems weather causes are not the fault of the airlines or the TSA personel. I have found the airlines to be extremely accomodating where possible during times of weather delays. <br />Don't let all the horror stories stop you from flying. It's not much fun any more, and security adds another level of stress to deal with, but it still is an excellent way to travel long distances in a short period of time. <br />Bill....

KaGee

Admiral

Oh, I forgot,,,,<br /><br />Ya may just want to leave the 9MM locked up at home..... ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> NYM just remember to leave your underwire bra at home and you'll be fine. ;)
Yeah, but she's the one that engineered this junket. I love flying, I simply have NO Patience. :eek:

aspeck

Staff member

Good advice posted here NYMINUTE. If you follow it, you should not have any trouble at all. Have flown MANY miles since 9-11 - both nationally and internationally with little problem. Just be prepared ahead of time and do what you are supposed to do. Put any fingernail clippers, pocketknives, or scissors, etc. in your check-in baggage and you can still have it with you when you arrive at your destination.<br /><br />Only airline I won't fly on in Lufthansa, and that is because of a situation I had with them, but that was an administration problem and nothing to do with flights, check-ins, etc.<br /><br />Have a great trip!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Two ways to get out of the trip.<br />1- Carry a knife and the wiring harness from your Rinker through the checkpoint.<br /><br />2- Go to the airport in nothing but your underwear.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I travel frequently on intercontinental flights.After being used to Ben Gurion (Tel Aviv) airport,I feel that most airport security around here is a joke.You can stick a pound of C4 in a jar of peanut butter,no xray will detect it and no dog will ever smell it.I know that it is frowned upon,but airport security will work a lot better when random searches will be replaced by some racial profiling.<br />Right now there is a huge fight between airlines that do not want to pay for security and the feds who want to put it in private hands.What sort of security do you expect when the security "officers" are paid a pittance.Pityful security is what you will get.<br />What we see is that our national security is being outsourced to poorly paid mercenaries that will not risk their lives for your safety.This is happening at an airport close to you.