ahoy CAPT BOB

crab bait

Captain
where i'm workin' is the home office of a BIG TIME construction contractor .. doin' a major re-hab on there office.. i'm doin' the electric part.. <br />i'm the only electrical worker on site & the'BIG BOSS' ( the owner) there is havin' a 53 foot power boat built for him close by outta wood.. <br /><br />well , he took a likin' to me & i showed him pics of my 2 hand builts .. now i'm his hero ..<br /><br />the job isn't gonna last to much longer about a month at best .. <br /><br />today , he said when this job is done .. he wants to ask my boss if i could come down & wire-up his boat.. all leagitt , above-the-table & TIME & MATERIAL ,to boot.. he asked me if i'd want to do it.. GOOD LORD ,, Y E S .!!<br /><br />question is,, is i'm alittle scarert.. really don't know nothin' about boat wirin'/boat code..do-ya-havta have all the odd/different color wire for everthin' & stuff..?? how do ya learn & stuff..?? USCG ?? <br /><br />any help is greatly appreciated..

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: ahoy CAPT BOB

In the boating industry the wiring and other systems are developed by the ABYC. That is the American Boat and Yacht Council. http://www.abycinc.org/ <br />All new boat builders go by it, all boat surveyors inspect for it and all insurance companys require it. <br />A 53' boat has several electrical systems in it. For example, the 120v 30 amp or the 240v 50 amp shore panel and cable, the generator and ship/shore switching, the 120v battery charger to the battery bank for the 12v dc house system and the alternator and regulator for the starting batteries and the house battery bank usually with a voltage isolator and or combiner if desired. Then you have invertors for converting the 12v dc battery bank into 120v ac when the boat is not on the generator or the dock power.<br /><br />You could buy a book, there are several available from the marine stores but if I were you I would ask for an electrical plan from a marine electrician that has an ABYC certification and then just follow the plan...it will have the color coding and correct wire sizing specified also.<br /><br />In other words........RUN!!

crab bait

Captain

H E L P . <br /><br />MISTER WIZARD<br /><br />I DON'T WANT BE ELECTRO-BOY NO MORE..!!!

Fishbusters

Ensign

Don't you connect the white and black while the breaker is on????? Man oh man I hate running wires. I do my own as far as around the house and such but I don't claim to know much even though my father ended up an electronics shop planner at the shipyard and I have several electricians in the family.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last year, I was riggin' my new boat for a trip to the Keys. As usual, I waited til the last minute, and was wiring up the dual battery setup the evening before we left. Got in a hurry, and hooked up #2 battery backward. Worked fine on #1, but as I passed "both" to get to #2, the switch lit up in my hand. It welded itself together instantly, and things were gettin' hot fast! Burned the snot outta my fingers on the wingnut disconnecting one of the batteries. Cables were so hot I couldn't touch them. And Sparks!!! Batteries were still hot two hours later, when I replaced the switch. Only damage, other than the switch, were blown fuses in every electronic component. I'd swedged the battery cable ends, so they were OK. Solder would have melted right out, like it did on the battery charger connectors.<br /><br />I was right lucky the whole thing didn't blow up in my face, and blast a hole in the side of my new boat. There should have been plenty of Hydrogen around when the sparks flew. Gives me the willies!<br /><br />Then, when I tried to start my truck to hook it to the trailer, the battery in it made a "pop" and failed without any warning. That battery was only a year old. Had to go buy a new one before we could leave. Ya think there was a connection? That electricity stuff is peculiar!<br /><br />I still do all my own electrical work, though. Love that adrenalin rush when I hit the switch to give 'er the ol' "smoke test".

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL The "ol smoke test" huh?! LOL :D :D :D <br /><br />My son in law was changing colors on some switches and even though he flipped the breaker off on the one he was working on, he came to a 3 way that was fed from another circuit. He burned the end off of a perfectly good screwdriver and called me to find out what happened. I told him it was called "welding".....sorta like your battery cables. :D

crab bait

Captain

as many times i ' welded' screwdrivers an other expensive tools .. i ought-a-be a certified welder by now...