Aftermarket Tach for Tohatsu 30C?

Geezer1

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
48
A question for the Tohatsu guru's here...I was under the impression that only a Tohatsu tach would work for this motor (I think I read that somewhere). A friend pointed out to me that the Faria catalog shows that Tohatsu's up to 30 hp can use their aftermarket tach. Is this true? I have a serviceable Teleflex tach on hand with connections for sender, ground, and ignition (plus light) and can be set at 6 pulses. Is there any reason why this tach could not be used?
 

Geezer1

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
48
Update on this... Will not work on the 30 hp 4 stroke.
 

pvanv

Admiral
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
6,587
For the MFS30C, the correct setting is 12 poles, which is 6 pulses.
 
Last edited:

Geezer1

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
48
My thoughts exactly, Paul. My dealer said no to 4 strokes, so I bit the bullet and bought a Tohatsu tach. All is not lost though, because a buddy needed a tach for his old Evinrude and gave me $25.00 for the Teleflex. I'll bet you're right about that Teleflex working on my MFS30C when set at 6 pulses though. Oh well...
 
Top