Aftermarket outboard cylinder head temperature sensor?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2011
Messages
4,089
Can anyone recommend me to such a thing? I would like a temp gauge in my dashboard and the temp sensor on my 75hp Evinrude. The high heat sensor and buzzer that come factory are just not safe enough in my opinion. :)
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: Aftermarket outboard cylinder head temperature sensor?

Can anyone recommend me to such a thing? I would like a temp gauge in my dashboard and the temp sensor on my 75hp Evinrude. The high heat sensor and buzzer that come factory are just not safe enough in my opinion. :)

If the alarm buzzes when you turn the key on the system works and it is simple and reliable. If it is not working, fix it. But since you want a temp gauge and associated wiring that may also have issues, Faria and Teleflex both have outboard temp gauges and the matching sender. Note I said SENDER. The sensor on the engine right now is merely a switch that is open under normal conditons (no alarm). If the engine overheats the switch snaps closes sounding the alarm buzzer. The temp sender required with a gauge is a resistive element (30 - 240 ohms). The gauge reading is based on the resistance of the sender at the time.
 

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Joined
May 19, 2001
Messages
26,119
Re: Aftermarket outboard cylinder head temperature sensor?

Teleflex makes one and you have to bolt the sensor to the motor. Not sure how reliable it is. I prefer a water pressure gauge over a temperature gauge for a 2 stroke.
 

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2011
Messages
4,089
Re: Aftermarket outboard cylinder head temperature sensor?

I prefer a water pressure gauge over a temperature gauge for a 2 stroke.

Sweet that sound good. Where in the system does that go? In the main water pickup? Who makes them?
 

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2011
Messages
4,089
Re: Aftermarket outboard cylinder head temperature sensor?

And silver, when should the alarm sound, is it right when I start the motor? I dont think ive heard it.It is an 80's evinrude.
 
Top