Affordable canvas options?

dogfish1

Cadet
Hello all, I imagine we will all face this problem at some point so wondering what others have found. I have a 2003 Regal 3060 commodore that needs new canvas, the original is just worn out. Ameritex is the original maker and they will not support anything older than 2010. The quotes to replace the camper top from local canvas people are in the $6,000 range, Ameritex was quoting less than $3,000 which seems reasonable but as I said they won't deal with an older boat. Are there any other options? I just look at what parts cost today and wonder how the boating industry will survive. To replace the canvas and have my corroded out drives replaced (bravo 3's) I would be into the boat for over $20k in repairs, the boat is worth maybe $35k with carrying costs of ~$4k/yr. These numbers are depressing and I question how so many people can afford to keep their boats?
Anyway any help with the canvas part of the equation would be appreciated.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many of us learn to sew and do it ourselves.

however I would find a different local canvas shop.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The quotes to replace the camper top from local canvas people are in the $6,000 range, Ameritex was quoting less than $3,000 which seems reasonable but as I said they won't deal with an older boat. Are there any other options?
I'm guessing the difference is that Ameritex has/had an existing pattern to work from. Everyone else would have to custom fit which is labor intensive.

$6K is a little steep but given the state of the current job market.....I'm not that all surprised.

Horses, yachting and race cars have never been the sport of "peasants". :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you are near Vonore TN, I have a guy