Advice on trolling motor/battery

jasher

Recruit
Hey guys.
I just bought sevylor 360 and I would like some advice from you as to which would be my best option as far as selecting a trolling motor and a battery.I was going to use it for trolling and getting around on the lake with the 360. I'm choosing between the endura c2 30lb and 40lb. What battery should i buy?i know it will be a deep cycle but i'm a little bit confused about the amperehour thing.Any recommendation on a battery that will last me a whole day of use but doesn't cost an arm and leg?
Thanks

k-rok

Cadet
Re: Advice on trolling motor/battery

i would go with the 30 because it uses less power. i have a 32 and has enough power to take me through 50 kmph (30 mph) wind easily on a large lake with white caps on it, i also use it in the ocean.
as far as batteries go it all depends on speed you travel and time. electric motors use about 1 amp hour per pound of thrust so at setting #1 you'll use about 6 amp hours per hour. each click up increases the power up by 6 amp hours so #3 setting would be 18 amp hours per hour, #5 would be 32 amp hours per hour.
i found with a full day i would need at least a 75 amp hour battery but around 100 would be better. make sure it's am AGM (absorbent glass mat) or Gell cell deep cycle, there leakproof, i had a regular marine battery years ago and every trip battery acid spilled out and i had to clean it up, didn't hurt the boat but cleaning was a pain. i prefer the AGM that's the type they use in booster boxes.

jasher

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. would it be better to get the 40lb and use it at first and/or second speed or the 30lb at the 3rd to highest speed? I was thinking of getting more power because the boat will carry 2 adults and 1 kid, roughly around 380 lbs(170+ kg). Or the 30 is sufficient enough? Thanks

dobbs571

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 47# min kota on my FH360 with a exide battery with 1000
MCA and 115 min RC Have used it all day with no ploblems last time I pulled two other rafts 3 miles down stream with two people in each at full power about 30 min still had battery left about 1/2 charge or a little less that was after useing it all day running up and down stream playing a round.Its not going to go up a swift riffle but dose fine for what I need beet the heck out of paddleing all day .There were two of us in my Raft plus two coolers full of ice and beer and soda.