Advice on retrofiting an engine stop lanyard

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
My friend at work was telling me how he managed to dump himself and daughter out of his 12 foot tinny (how - lord only knows :confused:). But anyway - his 9.9 motor has a stop lanyard and luckily he was actually using it. It worked as intended and killed the engine the instant he went over the side and it popped out of its seat.

They were able to climb back in the boat and get to shore safely, thankfully.

Anyway - it got me to thinking that my old tinny I'm resurrecting for my son has a late 70s 7.5hp Merc - far too old for such safety gear.

DSC06593.jpg

So, my questions are:

Has as anyone retrofitted an older outboard with one of these things and what issues where there, if any. I'm not even sure where it would attach, considering this boat has a centre console. I was thinking maybe of mounting it into the throttle control assembly where the key switch blank is (no electric start here...)

Any particular brand or type recommendations?

All advice welcome!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Advice on retrofiting an engine stop lanyard

You can buy a generic kill switch assy. Just need to wire it into your ignition switch. Pretty simple actually

KS-1 Saf-T-Stop - Ignition Kill Switch - Single Outboard

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys - I should have been clearer.

There is no wiring coming from the engine at all and no ignition switch. I'm going to have to run it back to the motor and - I guess - wire it into the same points as the engine mounted stop button connects to.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think you can replace the stop button with a lanyard kill switch