Advice on replacing u-joings/gimbal bearing/cables

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a dual 5.7/Alpha One that has bad gimbal bearings and u-joints due to water intrusion. The drives are off (removed by the dealer for insurance estimate). They estimated $3k for both with parts and labor (about half and half). I'm going to get the $3k from the insurance, then the decision--do it myself or have the dealer finish the job?<br /><br />I'm mechanically skilled and have done everything from brakes to engine rebuilds. However, time is somewhat limited and I don't have any of the special tools at this point. I also have back issues which limit my ability to work in odd positions.<br /><br />The price seems really high. The estimate is for doing the bearings, the two joints, and the shift cables for one drive (maybe both, but think just one).<br /><br />Your opinions on doing this myself?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Advice on replacing u-joings/gimbal bearing/cables

If the boat is More than 5 years old,........<br />Replace Both lower shift cables,+ ALL of the Rubber Parts................<br /><br />As for "Doing it Yourself",......<br />Hopefully Tommays will find this thread,+ Show you His Gimbel Repair Tool Kit................ :D <br /><br />I Am a Master Mechanic,......(thou Not a Marine Tech)<br />And,.. I hire Mine Out............

NoWorries

Seaman Apprentice

If the insurance is footing the bill, it would definatly be worth a qualified Merc tech doing the work.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My guess is the 3K is for both. If the bellows went bad on one side, the other is sure to follow since it is the same age and due for failure.<br />I do this for a living, and if you have back issues, give that 3K to the tech and let him fix your boat. The drives are heavy and awkward to remove and install, and the bellows, and shift cables puts you into a lot of odd, twisted contorted positions to complete the job.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

That price is for both drives, except that I think the cables are only being done on one side. Otherwise everything that is a wear item is going in. All rubber, joints, bearings, etc. I don't have the full list in front of me, but as I went through it at the shop I couldn't find anything that was being re-used. Oh, it includes trim senders too, both have issues.<br /><br />Sounds like I should just pay up and have my boat in the water next weekend.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

Unless you have an outdrive stand, gimbal bearing puller, gimbal bearing installer, and shop press for the u-joints, it's a very tough job to do yourself. Have the shop do it.<br /><br />Dave<br /><br />
stand01
gimbal01