Advice on best trailer for 21' Sea Ray

tangent

Seaman
I have two questions: (1) I'd like opinions on the best trailer manufacturer for what I'm planning and (2) I'm trying not to exceed my tow rating. I definitely want a roller trailer and expect it to be dual axle.<br /><br />Here's the details: I'm hoping to buy a 21' 2000 Sea Ray 215 EC that weighs 3800 lbs. It doesn't come with a trailer and I will be trailering it in salt water and rinsing with fresh water after each use. I'll be towing about 2 miles each way, pretty flat. My truck can tow 5800 lbs so I'm looking for lighter trailers. I'm thinking the best idea is to get a new one. My existing 19' boat has a loadrite trailer that I'm happy with.<br /><br />Opinions on manufacturers? Are aluminum trailers lighter? torsion suspension?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Advice on best trailer for 21' Sea Ray

Getting the boat on the new trailer correctly will be the biggest issue.<br /><br />So what dealers in your area can do the best job of this ?<br /><br />I have a friend who just put a 24 Ft Searay on a NEW trailer and i have tryed to tell him its not on there right (its not even set up with tie downs in the stern)BUT he things it fine because the trailer dealer says so :eek: <br /><br />tommays

tangent

Seaman

Good point. This boat is from a dealer so I'm hoping they know how. I don't know how much adjustment is necessary for a particular boat/trailer combination. I'll have to check it out when the time comes and make sure it's done right. I guess the tongue weight and the location of the rollers are the most important?

wvstriper

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a new aluminum trailer for my 97 Hurricane. The trailer manufacturer had a database of just about every boat out there, going back many years. They were able to build and adjust the trailer before I took delivery. I only had to do minor corrections on the forward bunks. Aluminum, light and no rust, gotta love that!

tangent

Seaman

I'm happy. I got a Venture aluminum trailer - rated for 5000 lbs. It weighs about 1000 lbs and works well. I still have to adjust the rollers to spread them out a few inches. Oh, and I got the boat, too.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I have an aluminum Venture and I love it. Light weight, sharp looking... did you get the aluminum rims?

tangent

Seaman

Sure did - my son is impressed. I've gone out once so far - nice and smooth.