Advice on a 1986 210 LTD

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Howdy,
Looking at purchasing a 1986 Chris Craft 210 LTD, with a 5.0 mercruiser

Any advice? Can you still get parts for it? Boat looks to be in decent shape, and has been maintained, but rear deck and seats need work.

Just wanted to see if there is any support for these '80's boats. Any other forums or links available for this era boats?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Advice on a 1986 210 LTD

Parts specific to the model (windshield, etc) are hard to find. Most times, a search on Ebay or Craigslist might get you something. As far as most hardware, they are pretty much universal meaning you can find a lot out there. Mercruiser parts are generally easy to find too.

The seats and rear deck can be rebuilt from scratch as long as you have the old ones for patterns. These boats were constructed with glass covered wood stringers, transom and deck (floor), so check it carefully for rot. If you find the deck mushy, it is a good bet that the stringers under it are also gone, and you are looking at a lot of work. Even if the deck seems solid, ensure it was not just a carpeted piece of plywook screwed over the rotted stuff (very common). Check the engine mount bolts and see if they are tight. If these bolts are loose and will not tighten, then you have some major issues.

Check out the link in my signature. This will give you a good idea of what is involved in rebuilding these. Mine is a 178 LTD, but the construction is the same as the 210.​

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude,

You are my new hero!
Your documentation is excellent! I hope I don't need to do the extensive work you had to do, but now I know I can, and even better, what to look for.

When I went to pick up the boat, I crawled along the floor looking for soft spots, and inspected every thing I could. I did find a crack in the rear seat support ( the bench that removes for storage) and a loose support near the motor area, where the sun deck goes. But everything else looked ok. Now I will look with more detail.

Could I ask a favor? Can you take a picture of the hinges for the sundeck and how the gas struts mount to the underneath of the sundeck? I need to find some hinges ( the ones on this boat are gone) and rebuild the sundeck. The gas shocks are still there, but don't connect to anything!!!

I wish I was down in Florida, as we have very limited access to boat wrecking yards here, and I would love to restore this thing with original parts, as it is missing very little.

Thanks again and any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Bob

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Bob,

I cannot get a close photo of the sundeck hinge installed because the boat is down at a storage unit (put away... waiting for an engine, different story). Look at this photo to the rear of the deck:
http://www.shareaproject.com/fullImages/8015.jpg
Not the greatest, but you should see how they mount.

A link and photo of the actual hinges for this is here:
http://www.iboats.com/Seadog_Hatch_Hinge/dm/*******.797372845--**********.174218198--view_id.39762

It screws to the back of the deck (On the back side) and the area of the transom directly behind it so when the deck is closed, it is shaped as an "L". There is 2, one on each side, and the deck opens from the front. I cannot help you on the gas strut because mine doesn't have them (Lazy and have been using a prop stick), but you should be able to figure that out. Looking at your username, it appears you have a Fiat? If so, you should be conditioned to figuring things out (electrical systems ring a bell?) lol

I do have more photos on another computer, so if you need any other areas, let me know via PM with your email and I can send them.

Mike​