Advice for a new boat owner?

madmathew

Cadet
I bought a 1989 Four Winns Sundowner cuddy with the 4.3L OMC. Been boating, mostly skiing, since I was a kid but never owned my own. Good tips for docking, etiquette, stuff I should have on board or whatever other lessons I can learn from your experience is appreciated. I live in Michigan and will usually put it on the river then head out to the bay.

Last edited:

Pony

Rear Admiral
As far as docking goes, a lot of that just comes with practice and patience. Go slow until you are more comfortable. If you have never launched/retrieved before, go on a slower weekday to practice and figure out a process that works for you.

As far as stuff to have on board, start with all the required safety gear and go from there. I have a small water proof ammo box that I keep a small set of tools in (Phillips and regular screw drivers, some adjustable wrenches, pliers, and a socket set with the sockets that I might need), an extra plug, electrical tape, an extra flair, cheap rain gear, spark plugs, and a small voltage meter. I also keep my insurance and registration card in there. I have a set of jumper cables in the boat. That I actually used late last year when my main battery went bad on me and I had to jump across one of my trolling batteries to start the motor to get back in to harbor. I have an extra fuel line and rope too....I probably have too much stuff ;)

Im sure I am forgetting something, but I'm sure some others will chime in with what they have onboard.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
I was going to say don't buy an old boat and stay away from OMC. I'm joking..I will say to pay attention to the trailering aspect of boating as well. I've never in all my years of boating had a single issue out on the water but have had lots of them while trailering when I used to trailer. Get a spare tire set up, get a lug wrench that fits trailer tire lugs (I learned that lesson the hard way and carry a long breaker bar with a hardened air socket), see if your boat insurance you need to protect your assets, has road side assistance for the trailer, Jacking up a trailer to change a blown out tire from the road debris from the truck in front of you towing a completely non-roadworthy trailer that disintegrated into pieces with the jack in your tow vehicle takes forever made worse when you are on a busy highway shoulder. A better quality jack in the truck will be appreciated.

Also, make a spare boat key and hide it somewhere on board. Change out the current fire extinguisher with a brand new one.

hostage

Lieutenant
1) Slips are better for marriage than launching
2) Relax and enjoy, it is just a toy
3) Boat preforms different when there are a lot of people on board, due to weight. Just make sure you don't take a sharp turn as you will turn sharply instead of sliding.
4) Take a boater's safety course.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
3) Boat preforms different when there are a lot of people on board, due to weight. Just make sure you don't take a sharp turn as you will turn sharply instead of sliding.
+1 on taking a boating safety course, preferably from the US Coast Guard Auxillary.

madmathew

Cadet
I was going to say don't buy an old boat and stay away from OMC. I'm joking..I will say to pay attention to the trailering aspect of boating as well. I've never in all my years of boating had a single issue out on the water but have had lots of them while trailering when I used to trailer. Get a spare tire set up, get a lug wrench that fits trailer tire lugs (I learned that lesson the hard way and carry a long breaker bar with a hardened air socket), see if your boat insurance you need to protect your assets, has road side assistance for the trailer, Jacking up a trailer to change a blown out tire from the road debris from the truck in front of you towing a completely non-roadworthy trailer that disintegrated into pieces with the jack in your tow vehicle takes forever made worse when you are on a busy highway shoulder. A better quality jack in the truck will be appreciated.

Also, make a spare boat key and hide it somewhere on board. Change out the current fire extinguisher with a brand new one.

I hadn't thought about getting new extinguisher.

madmathew

Cadet

I've been thinking about how I'm going to get her dialed in to launch it, I think my brother liked me being around just so he had someone to help him launch and recover.:)

airshot

Rear Admiral
Lots of good advice already given so I will just add a little something. Go to a parking lot and practice backing up, take flags etc and create scenerios for backing thru, learn to use your mirrors and go slow. Many backing errors are from trying to go to fast. People get tired of waiting inline while someone practices backing up, have a handle on it before going to the ramp. Think thru your launch and retrieval procedures and be sure everyone knows there particular job and practice before going to the launch with dry runs. You will find you need to make some changes as you progress but at least you have a starting plan. As far as your boat....all necessary CG equipment, great suggestion on a new extinguisher!! Be sure you boat has TWO good batteries in it.....you will need that spare when you least expect it. In your tool kit....a roll of duct tape and some wire (baling wire) to make emergency repairs. I am sure others will chime in with other ideas as well...keep safe...good boating!

madmathew

Cadet
Lots of good advice already given so I will just add a little something. Go to a parking lot and practice backing up, take flags etc and create scenerios for backing thru, learn to use your mirrors and go slow. Many backing errors are from trying to go to fast. People get tired of waiting inline while someone practices backing up, have a handle on it before going to the ramp. Think thru your launch and retrieval procedures and be sure everyone knows there particular job and practice before going to the launch with dry runs. You will find you need to make some changes as you progress but at least you have a starting plan. As far as your boat....all necessary CG equipment, great suggestion on a new extinguisher!! Be sure you boat has TWO good batteries in it.....you will need that spare when you least expect it. In your tool kit....a roll of duct tape and some wire (baling wire) to make emergency repairs. I am sure others will chime in with other ideas as well...keep safe...good boating!

Do you mean have a spare battery on the boat or set it up to be a dual battery system?

jkust

Rear Admiral
I hadn't thought about getting new extinguisher.

They go bad...actually pick yours up and shake and you might be able to tell if it is bad. I've know people who have gotten tickets for inoperable fire extinguisher from the Sheriff plus of course it can save your life and property but not if its just there for show. I think he meant a dual battery set up not just a loose spare battery sitting in the battery compartment. On smaller bodies of water, I'm fine with a single battery that is a higher end battery that was set up on a smart charger throughout the winter. In MN, I've had my expensive battery freeze and get destroyed while stored in the garage but I forgot to disconnect it.
If you have a stereo system that you sit and float and listen to then either keep an eye on the voltage with the fish finder that tells you the exact voltage with a voltage alarm or get a second battery set up.

madmathew

Cadet
They go bad...actually pick yours up and shake and you might be able to tell if it is bad. I've know people who have gotten tickets for inoperable fire extinguisher from the Sheriff plus of course it can save your life and property but not if its just there for show. I think he meant a dual battery set up not just a loose spare battery sitting in the battery compartment. On smaller bodies of water, I'm fine with a single battery that is a higher end battery that was set up on a smart charger throughout the winter. In MN, I've had my expensive battery freeze and get destroyed while stored in the garage but I forgot to disconnect it.
If you have a stereo system that you sit and float and listen to then either keep an eye on the voltage with the fish finder that tells you the exact voltage with a voltage alarm or get a second battery set up.

I have a local guy who services extinguishers so I'll have him check mine out.

JustJay

Recruit
I think he meant a dual battery set up not just a loose spare battery sitting in the battery compartment. On smaller bodies of water, I'm fine with a single battery that is a higher end battery that was set up on a smart charger throughout the winter. In MN, I've had my expensive battery freeze and get destroyed while stored in the garage but I forgot to disconnect it.

I would think one would want a separate battery, whether disconnected or connected using a dual battery switch. Because if you have both batteries connected and one goes dead, they're both head.

madmathew

Cadet
I would think one would want a separate battery, whether disconnected or connected using a dual battery switch. Because if you have both batteries connected and one goes dead, they're both head.

I was reading the owners manual and it sounds like this boat is equipped that way. I'll have to check later.

roffey

Commander
Check the water impeller and keep your eye on the temp gauge, experience talking here.

madmathew

Cadet
Check the water impeller and keep your eye on the temp gauge, experience talking here.

I'm buying it from my uncle, if he didn't already change the impeller and service the outdrive then I will do it before I take it out.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Dual batteries will give you peace of mind. A battery switch so you can switch between them is good, but an ACR even better. The ACR will keep a charge on both batteries automatically no matter which battery you have switched "on".
A note on the outdrive...learn your trim switch. I don't know how yours works, but mine has kind of two switches built into one. When I trim up, it will stop at a certain point. If I press up harder it will continue up to the trailer position. You never want to run your boat while in the trailer position. The angle is too steep for the u-joints and can cause damage.
Docking and general boat control...always use very small throttle adjustments. Nice and easy. You can always back up and try again. Eventually you will learn to judge the wind or current to compensate your path.
Launching: Some people power their boat off the trailer. I prefer to just back it in and at the last moment hit the brakes and the boat just slides off. Of course I tie a line to the bow and attach it to either my trailer or tow vehicle. When the boat is away from the trailer, I grab the line and walk the boat by the rope to the dock or beach. Then get my truck out of there so I don't block the launch. Definitely practice when the launch isn't busy. Best is on a weekday.
Retrieving: I tie to the dock or beach the boat if no dock. When you back your trailer into the water you will get to know how deep it should be. You don't want it too deep or the boat will stay floating. If it's too shallow, you will have a hard time getting it onto the trailer. Some people judge by how deep the fenders are. I judge it by how deep my bunks are. I leave just about 6"-8" sticking out of the water. Then drive the boat slowly, kill the engine and coast toward the bunks. Then immediately trim the drive all the way up and reach over the bow and hook her up to the winch. Climb over the bow and crank her in. After you're out of the water, always stand behind the boat and make sure it's sitting evenly on the trailer.
Hope this helps and good luck

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
If you happen to have the best invention on the planet known as a roller trailer, it practically drives itself to the ramp and self-launches. Back it in up to the bottom of the trailer fender so the trailer is barely in the water and the tow vehicle is not even close to touching the water, give it a slight push and it rolls right off. It makes self-launching a pleasure and launching with your wife let's you keep the divorce papers in the glove box.

madmathew

Cadet
Poconojoe- thanks my grandmother kept the boat in a lift growing up so I never really had to come on and off a trailer very much.

madmathew

Cadet
If you happen to have the best invention on the planet known as a roller trailer, it practically drives itself to the ramp and self-launches. Back it in up to the bottom of the trailer fender so the trailer is barely in the water and the tow vehicle is not even close to touching the water, give it a slight push and it rolls right off. It makes self-launching a pleasure and launching with your wife let's you keep the divorce papers in the glove box.

Can I convert my trailer to rollers?