Adjusting Throttle Cable on my 1972 Evinrude 40 hp..

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have replaced the cable for the remote control on my motor. It needs to be adjusted as it doesn't work right. Are there any tutorials or procedures for adjusting the throttle cable on my specific motor? I saw the super secret procedure but that was a little vague.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Adjusting Throttle Cable on my 1972 Evinrude 40 hp..

Can you be a little more specific on "doesn't work right" ? Is it the linkages on the motor that are giving it problems, or is it the actual throttle cable that is not right?

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Adjusting Throttle Cable on my 1972 Evinrude 40 hp..

Can you be a little more specific on "doesn't work right" ? Is it the linkages on the motor that are giving it problems, or is it the actual throttle cable that is not right?

Sure can. When I slow to an idle on the remote control, the lever is almost at the 1/2 way point. As I continue to pull back on the lever, the motor dies. (I'm assuming the idle is too low and it stops). This next test I did with the motor off: When I press the control lever full throttle, the lever springs back to about 3/4 throtle. I can see the cable flexing at the control box when I do this.

I think I have the cable miss-adjusted as well as the idle settings on the motor itself. Since my manuals do not address adjustment of the cables, I figured you might know if/where there is documentation on this.