Adjusting Speedometer

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there any way to adjust these older speedometers. I have the older style water / Air pressure speedometer and it is exaclty 5 mph off pacing with another boat and GPS.

Thank you..

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adjusting Speedometer

Unfortunately you have what you have !!!!

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a old Airguide on my Baja (circa 1973) that is adjustable. I discovered it by accident when I tried to tighten the brass nut that holds the tube in the back.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the speedo reads low, you can make the hole in the pitot a bit bigger. If it reads too high, I think you are ^&%$#$!

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"If it is reading to high..."

If it is expendable, why not fill the hole and resize it incrementally until you reach the correct reading. Better have a twelve pack for your buddy who is going to be the pace boat. It may take awhile.:D

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HAHA Good Call on the 12 pack! Never thought of making the hole bigger good idea. I will give it a whirl

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I can tell you that making the hole bigger doesn't change a thing. I already tried that years ago. But go ahead, it won't hurt anything either.

The reason is that the speedometer is nothing more than a pressure guage reading pounds per square inch. The pounds per square inch at the pitot will not change by increasing hole size. Yes, there will be more pounds, but there is also more square inches. So pounds per stays the same. You could have that hole 6 inches in diameter and it would still be the same per square inch. Pounds per square inch is a result of speed through the water, no matter how you read it.

That pounds per square inch is applied to a bourdin tube in the speedometer which converts it to rotation of the needle reading MPH. If there would be any adjustment at all it would have to be within the guage mechanicals.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my only suggestion is if the pitot had been replace with one from a different mfgr. but i doubt it would make a difference.