Adequate HP for skiing, tubing, and wakeboarding

btozment

Recruit
I am looing into purchasing a 2015 B22CCR SUNDANCE skiff 22ft with a 115 hp motor. Before I buy it I want to know if this is enough hp to ski, tube, and wakeboard behind and actually have a good time with 5 or 6 people in the boat?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... You could probably ski, or tube, or wakeboard behind the boat alright, but not with 5 or 6 people in the boat,...

Just the driver, 'n a spotter,....

22' is Alota boat for 115 hp,....

oldjeep

Admiral
Should be able to do any of that as long as by "skiing" you mean on 2 skis not one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

You can ski, tube, and wakeboard. However, you won't be slalom skiing, and won't be having 5-6 people in board when pulling skiers with only 115hp

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i think you will be fine - that boat is not that heavy - i think you could even pull a slalom skier with the right prop. I wouldn't plan on it getting more than 35 mph though b/c you will have to prop it low like maybe a 17 pitch or possibly even 15 pitch. If you had the choice I would go with a 150 hp though.

thumpar

Admiral
I would keep looking. That boat should be able to handle a 200+hp motor. I doubt it came with that small motor.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
More power is your friend for water sports, especially slalom skiing and if you plan on doing it with several people in the boat. For your desires, I'd recommend a boat at least 19 feet long (20 to 22ft. would be better) with a minimum of 220HP. You can skimp on power a bit and be OK for tubing and wakeboarding, but an underpowered, loaded boat will have a crummy hole shot and aggravate skiers.

SkaterRace

That is no where near enough power to consider doing any of them with that many people in the boat and still have a good time. I would say you will want 175 HP or more likely 225 + HP. Take out all but a spotter and then sure should be enough since it is a light boat.

airshot

Rear Admiral
This is a very interesting post, while I agree with most of the responses you should look at the old Mercury advertisement videos in this forum. When Merc came out with the 100 or 115 outboard motor it was the most powerfull motor availiable at the time. There ad shows 3 people in the boat pulling 7 water skiers at the same time. There 50 hp motor shows 3 people in the boat pulling two skiers. But today we need 200 hp to pull a couple skiers... Were we better skiers back then??? LOL

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
This is a very interesting post, while I agree with most of the responses you should look at the old Mercury advertisement videos in this forum. When Merc came out with the 100 or 115 outboard motor it was the most powerfull motor availiable at the time. There ad shows 3 people in the boat pulling 7 water skiers at the same time. There 50 hp motor shows 3 people in the boat pulling two skiers. But today we need 200 hp to pull a couple skiers... Were we better skiers back then??? LOL
Yep. And max is 150, so 200 plus folks are telling you is a no go.

115 will not do slalom very well unless 2 to 3 peopl max, but tubing and having fun no problem. Regardless of hp, 5 to 6 people will get cosy.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i don't know guys - i can get up on slalom behind my boat with 125 hp with 5 people in the boat - it takes a few seconds longer with the added people but I still pop right up and I'm over 200 lbs. it's all about propping. My folks would slalom with 60-70 hp back in the early 70's. Now of course more hp is better but for a boat that maxes at 150 hp, 115 is not that bad. The OP didn't say if it was Yamaha or Mercury. I think the merc would be a little stronger especially if 2 stroke.

southkogs

Staff member
According to Sundance's website for the 2016, 150HP is the max and 115HP is the recommended. The performance bulletin on that boat says with the 115 she'll make about 30MPH at 4500RPM with two people on board..

You can pretty much tube behind anything that moves ... how fast it moves determines how much of a back-beater the tube ride is, but that boat'll pull a tube well enough. With two people on board, she'd do fine for a wakeboard or kneeboard. Those are slower slushier rides anyway. With 6 or 7 on board, I think you'd still pull okay but without trying, who knows?

Skiing is a different bag. It'll pull a skier fine, but I used to like to slalom at about 30MPH. You're gonna' have a hard time generating that with 6 people on board. It's a big flat boat, so it looks like it'll plane fast enough to get things moving, but I don't know that the ride will be a good one for a slalom skier. It'll pull ya' on two sticks, but again with 6 people one board who knows how slushy it'll be.

drrpm

I've skied behind a 50 HP boat too (a long time ago). The OP said he wanted to have a good time which is a lot easier with a decent sized boat that has a powerful motor. My experience from both sides of the rope is that V8 powered boats are more fun. I do have an I/O bias as it has been many years since I was on an outboard.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

How may of those skiers had a single ski on? In those pics, they boat was rigged for pulling a heavy load slowly, with a very low pitch prop. Empty, it would have been way over max rpm. Pulling a skier at 32 mph requires lots of low end torque to get out of the hole, plus enough top end to not be maxed out at 32 mph.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't know how anyone can have a good time with 6 or 7 people and their stuff onboard a 22" boat, especially kids. Then throw a tube in it. That's a riot waiting to happen, " Dad he's bugging me", "she started it Dad". Good luck bud.

thumpar

Admiral
I am surprised a 22' is maxed at 150hp. That seems pretty low for a boat that big.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is a skiff guys, and quite light as far as 22' boats go at just 1685lbs dry. 115 recommended and 150 max seems quite reasonable.

www.sundanceboats.com/skiff-boats/b22ccr/

While stepping up to the 150 would likely never bring regret, going with the 115 would probably be fine even with your intended use.

I'd be more concerned with where you're going to comfortably sit 7 people on that boat while pulling a tube at the same time. Ultimately, it looks like a smooth water fishing boat to me, but I've never ran a skiff type hull myself.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yea...now that I have seen the pics, I would also wonder where your going to seat 6 people comfortably without pulling a tube! Seats without comfortable backs get real uncomfortable real quick. From the seats pictured I would guess 4 adults and mabey a couple kids at best. For what you have in mind, perhaps you might re-think your style of boat.

thumpar

Admiral
Yea...now that I have seen the pics, I would also wonder where your going to seat 6 people comfortably without pulling a tube! Seats without comfortable backs get real uncomfortable real quick. From the seats pictured I would guess 4 adults and mabey a couple kids at best. For what you have in mind, perhaps you might re-think your style of boat.
I agree. For what you want to do a 18'-20' openbow with an I/O v6 or v8 would fit perfectly. Getting in and out of the water with that boat doesn't look like fun.