Adding tell tail to a 1959 35hp

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Im fixing up my dad's old 1959 35hp Evinrude. Compression is 110 and 115. Ive cleaned it up well and rebuilt the water pump and put in new gear oil. Still searching for a kit for the fuel pump and carb. In the meantime, I was thinking about adding a tell tail to this motor. I know it is typically done from the factory on the lower part of the exhaust cover. Is that the best place to do it or should it be done in the top of the block to tap into the water jacket off the top cylinder?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am not an outboard mechanic by no means, however, I do know that the higher up the better for a pee outlet. One reason is the higher locations would help get rid of any air pockets in the cooling system. I had a 1964 Johnson motor that had a thermostat in it. There were three mounting screws for the stat and an extra hole next to the thermostat (inside the cover of the thermostat) that is a thermostat bypass. I drilled & tapped a hole in the cover to line up with the thermostat bypass inside the cover, and came off of the cover with my fitting. Ran a discharge hose from it thru the bottom rear of the cowl. Worked great and I never had a problem with it after the installation. I was always afraid to attempt drilling a hole into the water jacket myself.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I am not an outboard mechanic by no means, however, I do know that the higher up the better for a pee outlet. One reason is the higher locations would help get rid of any air pockets in the cooling system. I had a 1964 Johnson motor that had a thermostat in it. There were three mounting screws for the stat and an extra hole next to the thermostat (inside the cover of the thermostat) that is a thermostat bypass. I drilled & tapped a hole in the cover to line up with the thermostat bypass inside the cover, and came off of the cover with my fitting. Ran a discharge hose from it thru the bottom rear of the cowl. Worked great and I never had a problem with it after the installation. I was always afraid to attempt drilling a hole into the water jacket myself.

Yeah, that makes sense and I have read it elsewhere before. I always wondered why they never installed them there from the factory though. I may look into seeing if I can do it similarly around my t-stat.