Adding pumice to non-skid paint

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice
After reading some older posts, I now wonder if I should add the pumice. The boat will be used for fishing year round " in the pacific NW " and just playing around in the summer with family, friends and the dogs. Mostly barefoot in the summer, and in shoes during rainy fishing trips. Anymore advice would be great, thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Adding pumice to non-skid paint

Do not add too much or it will be like walking on sand paper. Barefeet that have been water tenderized could tend to be over sensitive to the grit. Use it in moderation.

crunch

Commander

Jester... I did a non-slip wheel chair ramp about a year ago... used fine beach sand applied with a grass seed spreader over sections of wet paint, worked great. Used Latex paint, did it in sections ( had to sweep in between) and practiced on concrete to get the right setting on the spreader.

I plan on doing this on the new floor in my boat, although I won't be using Latex, probably go right into the last coat of epoxy.... kinda like walking on 180 grit sandpaper.

jesters420

Seaman Apprentice

I painted the inside walls with just the paint to see how rough it was and opted to not use the pumice, thanks for the help!