adding LED lights to existing switch

CristCraft18

Cadet
I have a switch that ran 2 "courtesey" lights inside my boat. I traded out the old lights and put in 2 LED lights instead, I just spliced the wires and off we went.

I would like to add 2 more LED lights and 2 Led strips, to get the whole inside lit up.

The question is what is the best way to wire all 6 lights so that they run off the switch that was already there? Or should i just start over?

Thanks!

beardeddone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: adding LED lights to existing switch

That should be easy unless the lights need wiring from where they are going say the other side of the boat to the switch then just solder the wires to the wires on the switch, leds draw very little amps maybe miliamps so if your present lights are fused it should work ok

Do you have a picture of your lighted area you want to light..Either way the wiring would be the hardest part..And it depends if the switch switches both the hot and ground which most don't, I like to use a switch for grounding the light to complete the circuit. If you have a twelve volt source near where your going to put the light that would even be better then use the existing switch for completing the circuit if it is fact a grounding switch.

There many knowledgeable people on here that can give better advice, but that is how I would do it..

tpenfield

Staff member

I have a switch that ran 2 "courtesey" lights inside my boat. I traded out the old lights and put in 2 LED lights instead, I just spliced the wires and off we went.

I would like to add 2 more LED lights and 2 Led strips, to get the whole inside lit up.

The question is what is the best way to wire all 6 lights so that they run off the switch that was already there? Or should i just start over?

Thanks!

Just tap into the existing wiring so that everything will run off the same switch. Nothing fancy about it, the LED lights should draw less current than the traditional lights, so you should not have to worry about overloading the circuit.

i would just mount all the lights where i wanted them then daisy chain from the switch to the closest light then on to the next light. they do tee splices and other types, just look in the auto parts store for the best quality connector that will work