Adding Hydralic Fluid

Mitytim

Cadet
On my '78 Galaxy 120 Mercrusier, when I hit the buttons on the power trim, I hear the motor hummin but no action on the back end. I have followed the hydralic lines to see where the filler may be for the fluid, but I can't find the thang. Should I be looking for something that looks like a brake fill like on a car or is this something different. Also. coming through the hull at the back are three wires not hooked to anything. A plug in type with black another with a blue or green and the third black flat that looks like it would go to a ground. Any ideas? Thanks guys!!!
Mitytim

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Adding Hydralic Fluid

Ayuh,.. Find the Trim Pump,... The Oil goes In it...
Usually thru a screw on the foreward, portside corner of the tank/ pump...

The wires sound like they belong to the Trim...

ziggy

Admiral

this is a 72 165 L6, my 75 has the same pump, i think yer 78 does too.
anyways. if it looks like mine, it's the large black thing on the portside with the coily red wire going to it.
IMG_4326.jpg

the fill screw is on the lower step of the body. blue and green are the colors of the pump wires, so it could be them. but you say they come through the hull. only thing i can think of wiring wise that goes through the hull would be trim limit and trim sending wires..
you can also find pics of the pump w/ location in your trusty service manual. along with wiring dia. too.....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You will have two screws or plugs. One is a vent screw, the lower one is the fill plug. Here's a pic:

trimfill.jpg

Mitytim

Cadet

Fishermark and Ziggy. Thanks for the time that you put in answering the question from a beginner. Would love to get this boat up and running. Walley's are just around the corner. Boats in nice shape, just needs some money and care. Hope more care than money ;-)
Tim