Adding electric brakes to boat trailer...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Adding electric brakes to boat trailer...

10 gauge wire? All the trailer supply places are only calling 10 gauge for a triple axle (6 sets of brakes). I am thinking the 14 gauge for my single axle would be fine. So, bruceb58, how would you hook up the system on the trailer side? I was planning on the 14-2 double shielded wire... that is standard for electric brakes.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

10 gauge wire? All the trailer supply places are only calling 10 gauge for a triple axle (6 sets of brakes). I am thinking the 14 gauge for my single axle would be fine. So, bruceb58, how would you hook up the system on the trailer side? I was planning on the 14-2 double shielded wire... that is standard for electric brakes.
You don't need it for the current capacity, it's for the voltage drop.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

You don't need to run a seperate ground wire to the brakes. That just makes things more complicated and adds nothing.

As fas as adding fuses to the brake wire, its not needed as its fused on the vehicle side.

I have found that the ground connections on the trailer tend to be hard to keep sealed and well connected, the ground wire makes it more reliable.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have found that the ground connections on the trailer tend to be hard to keep sealed and well connected, the ground wire makes it more reliable.
Grind down to bare metal. Attach ground wire with ring connector. Apply paint to connection point.

This is how its done on a lot of trailers but if you want to run a dual wire to the front of the trailer, that's ok but not needed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't need it for the current capacity, it's for the voltage drop.
14 is plenty. Its not that much current. Even if you have a small amount of voltage drop, the percentage of total voltage is not much and can be compensated with the brake controller.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So, bruceb58, how would you hook up the system on the trailer side? I was planning on the 14-2 double shielded wire... that is standard for electric brakes.
Sounds good to me.