Adding Distilled water to battery. what qualifies as distilled?

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
You better filter out the dirt first.
Using filtered rainwater from your pool cover can indeed serve as a substitute for distilled water in certain applications like topping off batteries. However, it may not meet the strict standards required for certain uses. It's always best to consult with a professional or check specific guidelines to ensure suitability for your intended purpose. Thanks for sharing your resourceful approach, Charlie.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Why ruin a $100-$200 battery by trying to save on a $2-$3 purchase

This is the question. Distilled water at our local Walmart is $1.34USD per gallon. Unless you're really in a pinch, why introduce any unnecessary contaminants into an expensive battery?

matt167

Captain
My father in law gets a ton of distilled water from a local maple producer. Just another avenue being it’s that time of the year

airshot

Rear Admiral
It all boils down to how much of a gambler are you ?? I know an old guy that refuses to wear seat belts, he is over 80 yrs old. So ...does that mean seatbelts don't really help save lives ?? There are always the exception to the rules....how much do you want to gamble ?? For me, a 1.29 a gallon is really not worth the gamble, I keep a couple gallons on the shelf, for use when distilled is called for....your call,.........

flashback

Captain
Lots of DIY distilling on YouTube. Pretty simple, a lot easier than whiskey..

imeineIsi

Recruit
Rainwater isn't distilled. It can collect dust, salts, and other impurities from the atmosphere, especially if it's near industrial areas.
I wouldn't use it.