Adding cleats to a floating HPDE dock..

dansmail26

Cadet
I just purchased a floating block dock from a private party. The only issue is it doesn't have any cleats. It's made of 19x19x15 HPDE plastic blocks with the tabs on the corners. I am trying to figure out how to add cleats. I was thinking of attaching cleats to a metal base plate, then mounting that to the block with 4 screws and well nuts or even drywall spring type connectors along with silicone.
Any better ideas or thoughts on this one?

dansmail26

Cadet
I should have included -
I will be using the dock with a 2000 lb 17' open bow i/o. It is in a very protected area with calm water.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
A few pics of what you are working with would go a long way to getting some ideas. Hard to visualize from your description what your dock looks like

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, I wouldnt screw into the HDPE. screws rip out really easy.

second, contact the manufacturer of the dock system and obtain their cleat support blocks.

dansmail26

Cadet
A few pics of what you are working with would go a long way to getting some ideas. Hard to visualize from your description what your dock looks like
Here ae pics of the block and a stock photo of a completed dock. I cannot find the cleats that are shown in the picture.

Attachments

• docbloks.jpg
    docbloks.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 17
  • docks.jpg
    docks.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 17

shrew

Lieutenant
We tie up to one of these at a place that uses it as a dinghy dock. They use the 'Dock Cleat'.
(Not the one in the image in the post. 'click' into the link and you'll see the one I'm talking about)

dansmail26

Cadet
We tie up to one of these at a place that uses it as a dinghy dock. They use the 'Dock Cleat'.
(Not the one in the image in the post. 'click' into the link and you'll see the one I'm talking about)

Does it seem pretty 'strong' when you use it? Is it akward to use being slightly below the top of the dock? Thanks!