Adding a third pontoon to 30' suntracker- any thoughts?

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have recently purchased a 30' Suntracker pontoon boat. We are going to do some modifications, and beef up a few things, which will add a little weight. This boat has a short pontoon located in the rear under the motor, but I would like to add one the whole length. Does anyone have any advise / warnings with a task like this, or know where to purchase a third pontoon? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Adding a third pontoon to 30' suntracker- any thoughts?

I'm sure "5150 & Eglide" will chime in shortly, but I was always curious why Tracker did not put a full length toon on their Party Huts. Having said that though, if the toons don't come w/ lifting strakes and allow large outboards to get that beast up out of the water, all you are going to be doing is adding weight. Maybe that's why Tracker only went w/ short toon under the house in the rear. Good luck !!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

It might be nice to have a 3rd toon, but I think you'll have to work hard to find one of the proper size and length. A boat that long and heavy would have to have very large motor to get up on the strakes. It's just not that style of boat. Also, a straked hull cannot be used with marginal power.

There are a couple of sources of new/seconds pontoons at good prices. Tracker Marine would want a fortune for a toon for your boat--even if one was available.

I would like to have strakes on my 24' pontoon, skin the bottom, and drop the motor down about 3" on the transom. But my boat is 26 years old. It'd be putting good money after bad. I just accept the limitations of my boat as it is, and go about my way.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You can bolt a 3rd tube right onto the boat, your problem will be finding one 30' long and it is going to be really spendy, a regular 25' outboard tube retail new is @ $1500, throw in a transom and make it longer and yikes.

One thing you could do is to get a a tube that fits in front of the existing one on the boat then you don't have to mess with a transom and switching the engine but you still get the benefits of haveing the 3rd tube but this might cause alot turbulence in the water a head of the engine and make it cavitate or it could run perfect, you won't know until you try it.

At Bennington we have what we call an Express package that is this exact thing, a regular motor pod and short tube in front of it and they seem to run fine.

Measure your brackets so you are certain of the spacing, should be 24'' on center but check, 16''OC brackets are fairly new,then you can go find your tube and what it will cost but it is absolutely doable.

wedge542

Petty Officer 3rd Class

griggsmars= i got one them long suntrackers too, i added a center log, what diameter is yours 21-25? get you a scraped toon off craigslist pull one log with brackets welded on already,add a 2x4 treated to top run longways bolt it to brackets, set that log in front of exsisting center, now jack in place, use a angle drill drill thru wood and thru your crossmembers both sides bolt up every crossmember with washers lock nuts, this will drop the center down if all same diameter 1.1/2 inches from others, you can use a 21-24 ft log no problem,if you get a log before anything ck for leaks-3-4 lbs air overnight, if alls good get a piece 2x2 alum angle same length as center log have it welded on very bottom of log v out, this serves two things, keeps log off rocks- in hard turns it keeps toon from just skiding sideways, after alls done with this project youll need to drop motor down maybe 1-2 holes. then move on to 16 g sheet metal cut 14-17 inches wide 8ft long for underskinning useing self starting hexhead screws with lock washers, no need to predrill if held tight against crossbraces, get some expanding spraycan insulation to fill in cracks,let stand few days trim as needed, might wanta spraypaint underskinning before install, less weight than alum sheet with same durability, may rust off in 12-15yrs though. mines got a 225 black max now, no strakes yet but in works. i looked for almost a yr for a log, then went to craigslist bought a toon no motor or trailer cheap ,sold extra log for entire price given. think picts mine on pontoon stuff site after rebuild.

The Rooster

Ensign

"wedge542", that sounds like quite a project. How does she run?

wedge542

Petty Officer 3rd Class

this 225 has alot more out of the hole its unreal, but toon sits higher now,rides alot better with 7-10 people onboard, turns faster, i added my transom to the center log so that was a job but its done and fun.

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Rooster, Banaman, 5150abf, Wedge542. It seems like it could be alot of work, and costly, so I will have to test the boat as is, then weigh out the price to benefit. The boat has a 140hp motor, but I think that should be enough power being that most of the time it will serve as a floating island, or be traveling at speeds not more than 10 knots. We will be having parties on the boat, put up a couple hammocks and tie up jet skiis, and kayaks to it. I was also looking to extend the second deck, and slide a waverunner up on the deck when we pull back into the slip. I would like to have both buoyancy and performance but it's more important that she floats well, as opposed to performing well. Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other thoughts about this. griggsmars

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I think you've got the right idea. These things are floating islands.

Sliding a Waverunner up on anything is now pretty difficult. The first jet ski's were 350 lb. pieces, and the old SeaDoo's were more like 450 lbs.
My new Waverunner VX is more like 800 lbs. dry--950 wet. I have a difficulty moving it around my driveway on an aluminum single PWC trailer. It takes a serious lift to get them up on the pier, and then you cannot roll'em around on a cart, even. I built a 9' by 16' boathouse this summer with a 2800 lb. Ace lift to handle my Waverunner.