Adding a generator?

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We recently purchased a 2004 Larson Cabrio 240. The one thing it is missing that we would really like to have is a generator. In the engine room there is more than enough room to mount a mid-size (2000-3000 watt) generator. Since there is a blower down there already would that provide adequate air to safely run the generator, both from an intake and exhaust standpoint?

Ned L

Commander
Re: Adding a generator?

Uhm, when you ask about the air supply and "both from an intake and exhaust standpoint?" it makes me think you are considering a typical air cooled portable generator (like an 'emergency generator' for you home). In all seriousness, don't even think in that direction, that has so many opportunities for a really bad outcome I’m not even going to go there. IF you are talking about a proper water cooled marine generator, then yes, you already have plenty of intake air for a generator.

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I was referring to a basic air-cooled type portable generator.

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,... Ya can't do that, it's Very Dangerous....

You need a Marine genny, water cooled, 'n Properly plumbed...intake, 'n more importantly, the Exhaust...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Do not, do not, do not, DO NOT!!! consider ANYTHING except a marine Genny ANYWHERE inside or above the hull of your boat. You will likely end up dead!

Spend the money or put the cheapo genny on the beach.

Puttin that style genny in the engine room with the blower on is like putting mustard gas in the bathroom at home with the exhaust fan on.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

During the freak snow storm we had here in MA in October, hundreds of thousands lost electricity for days on end. Several people woke up dead after thinking it was fine to run one of those generators in their garage to power up the house. Most of them even had the garage door at least partially open.

You would be placing one of those units in far closer quarters with far less ventilation than an open garage door.

Even if you get a marine unit that is properly plumbed, I would be installing CO detectors in the cabin.

Ned L

Commander

Before you even get to the CO issue of running it in the engineroom there are the issues of: gas tank vented to the inside of the engineroom, gas tank with fittings in the bottom, gravity feed carburetor, air cooled engine in confined space, and this doesn't even begin to address the non C.G. approved parts

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK - so we will bench that idea!! Thanks for all of the input!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I guess if you have 12volt illumunation you could change the lights/bulbs to led to help the battery last lomger
a maybe supply more light.
I guess small modern dvd players will run a couple of hours on a charge or run/charge off a 12v power outlet.

NYBo

Admiral

Secure the portable to the swim platform and the wind will point you and the genny's exhaust in the proper direction while on the hook.
Caution: A loud, cheap genny will drive you nuts!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Get yourself a couple BIG house batteries and convert all lighting to LED's. That should easily last a weekend with normal usage and some runtime to charge it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

+1 ^^^

marine gensets weigh in at a minimum of 125#. a pair of group 31's or even 4D's would weigh less.

cribber

Lieutenant

Add a 2nd or 3rd deep cycle battery, upgrade the alternator/s to handle the additional load and install a DC to AC inverter.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm surprised that no one stated the other obvious point. If the OP was ever boarded by a water patrol officer or USCG, his boating would be ruined for the day...maybe longer. I suppose a water cop in a bad mood could impound the boat until the non-USCG approved gennie was removed or disabled. Oh yeah, and the fines, fines, fines!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

LOL, you've all heard the horor stories about this subject and most of them are true but aside from the seemingly obvious reasons, those types of inverters/generators are designed to have airflow all the way around them when running. I talked to the local Honda dealer and he said the biggest problem with the smaller ones is not enough moving air. This is because of the way the encase them to make them quiet enough to tolerate. Even in the best of conditions they just don't last long with regular use. I didn't buy one so I can't directly attest to that personally. I just took the advice of someone that sells and fixes them.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all, Certainly agree that installing a gas or diesal generator in a boat is dangerous and no doubt against the law, but with pricing coming down on most generators perhaps there is another possibility that may make it possible, only w/out the engine.

They are simple enough so perhaps the AC generator alone w/out the motor can be adapted through a belt on an extra or free pulley on the boat enginge? The actual generator is not very big. Dunno, just a thought.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you would need a PTO.

in order for a genny to turn from a main motor.....it would have to actually be connected to the motor......

the movement of the motor against the non movement of a genny would throw any belt attached to it....

kinda like mounting an alternator on a firewall of a car....and using a belt off the crank to turn it....
the belt will come off

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you also have to turn a genny at a specific rpm for a certain voltage.... You COULD run a 100+ amp alternator or maybe even two to power an inverter. Each 100 amps at 12v minus whatever (minor) losses you have changing over gives you roughly 10 amps at 115....

azboater2

Seaman

I think you already got the idea this is a bad idea. Your generator must have a spark arrester, and it must vent exhaust overboard, and in most states in must be NEMA/USCG certified. Your exhaust blower does not have the capacity to vent the exhaust fumes from a portable generator. Gas (diesel) fumes in the engine compartment could be set off by the non-marine generator running in there.

You might get away with mounting it on deck somewhere, but you still need a spark arrester, and you still have a CO2 problem, and there?s a reason why they call CO2 the silent killer. I have seen small non-marine gens strapped on the swim platform and overlooked just for a Christmas parade, but it's still risky.

cribber's sugestion about batterys and alternator is exactly what I did, and added a 1KW A/C inverter to boot and I love the setup.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

.........and you still have a CO2 problem, and there’s a reason why they call CO2 the silent killer.....

Just for the sake of accuracy, the silent killer and the issue here is CO.... CO2 is what's in your Mt Dew and only dangerous when you get enough of it to displace O2 and sufficate you