Adding a bow tank to 16ft. holiday

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got a nice 20 gallon bow tank and all the hardware from a parts boat for free today. It fits like a glove up front so mounting it all will not be a issue. I am wondering if the 11-12 feet of fuel line is going to be a problem for my outboards to draw from though. I plan on using 3/8 marine line with a bulb inline and filter. Any thoughts?

InMotion

Commander
Re: Adding a bow take to 16ft. holiday

I have had no issues at all with my Jupiter... no doubt you will take care to ensure it doesn't kink anywhere and double clamp it at the tank!

You will find that the boat rides ALOT nicer with the weight up front. It planes out effortlessly and I found it went through the chop lets call it "better".

J.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Length of line will not be an issue.

The fuel pump only has to lift it from the floor of the boat up to the fuel pump.

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The other issue I am thinkin on is the filler vent arangment. The boat I pulled the tank from had the filler on the side and the vent fitting just in front of it. The only spot I can really use for the filler tube will be threw the front deck just in front of the starboard glass. I had plans of putting the vent fitting just over the edge of the bow where it will be facing the water. It would be about 3 inches lower then the fill cap but still above the tank by about 6 inches. Anyone see a issue with this?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Use a fill and vent all in one. Then the vent is part of the fill and on top with plenty of vertical separation of the fuel level/ upper venting.

A cap like this; Perko Vented Gas Fill - iboats

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding a bow tank to 16ft. holiday

I did the same thing with my 16 ft crestliner. It does make the boat ride better. AS for the fuel line. You need to check it periodically for leaks anyway, even if it is right next to the engine. If it sucks air, the motor dies and no power. o rings cause that too. As for the vent, in the fill, mine has trouble filling, and messes up the paint on the bow. I'm adding one on the side just under the top rub rail. Run a fuel line from the existing vent fitting to a thru hull fitting on the side. I have to use a 5/8 line for that. Another problem is not overfilling, you need a gauge somewhere you can see. I overfilled my starcraft last year, and it took the paint off, just like when the crestliner would burp up fuel filling it. You need to anchor the tank down good, so it doesn't move too. Nothing hard about any of it.