Adding a 3rd pontoon

Bryant M

Recruit
I got a 25' Crest I am working on. I found another pontoon that I want to add to my boat. I will need to cut it down to fit. How far should the center 3rd pontoon be from the transom mount? I'm going to just cut a section out of the toon and weld the end back on. Any advice would be appreciated.

ahicks

Captain
First, you should be aware that this third 'toon is most likely going to slow your boat down. If that's of any concern, that third 'toon should be quite a bit larger than the outside 2 (to help lift and turn at speed), and better yet, be equipped with lifting devices.

Second, if I could weld good enough to do what you are suggesting, I would be pretty tempted to build a motor mount into/onto the back of that 3rd 'toon....

captmello

Captain
give us some more info about what you're working with. toon diameters, motor horse power would be helpful.
I added a third tube to my toon and couldn't be happier.
I can't answer your question the way it was asked, but I have a 24 foot boat with 24 foot tubes. I added an 18 foot tube of the same diameter.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got a 25' Crest I am working on. I found another pontoon that I want to add to my boat. I will need to cut it down to fit. How far should the center 3rd pontoon be from the transom mount? I'm going to just cut a section out of the toon and weld the end back on. Any advice would be appreciated.
I am wondering the same thing. I seen it stated here, that the front of the center toon should mount just ahead of the other toons.

I have a 24 ft Harris Float Bote with 85hp Mercury mounted. Seems like there would be turbulence from the rear of center toon to deal with cavitation or ventilation.

To ask the question another way, "How much distance should there be between rear of toon and engine leg"?

Bryant M

Recruit
give us some more info about what you're working with. toon diameters, motor horse power would be helpful.
I added a third tube to my toon and couldn't be happier.
I can't answer your question the way it was asked, but I have a 24 foot boat with 24 foot tubes. I added an 18 foot tube of the same diameter.
It's a 25' Crest with 24" pontoons and I'm thinking of adding a 24" center pontoon. I have a 150 Mercury Optimax engine. I just got the boat and bought the engine separately so I don't know how it will perform as is yet. I will have a 100gal livewell as well as a 50gal bait tank.