Adding 12v receptacle

Woodrow246

Seaman
I would like to add a cigarette lighter adapter for cell phone charger etc.. curious where some have mounted them.

Thx

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding 12v receptacle

As I recall, the Fisherman is dual console-

I mounted one for my hand held GPS just above the 2 O'clock position of the steering wheel to the left of the switches and below the gauges. I purchased one from Gander Mountain- although that was silly- I could have easily gotten the same thing at radio shack.... It has a rubber plug covering the outlet and protecting it from rain or spray.... I wired it to the main switch...

Last edited:

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a lund rebel that i put one on when i repalced the switch panel. i found that some of the new switch panels have them built into them now for just the reason you want. it appears that since the rebel is on the bottom end of the lund line and i think the first level that they offer a console the boat is built kind of in a universal manner. the seat sockets or plates that cover where they will be are in every boat so depending if it is a console or tiller they just attach the bases in the right spot. but the switch panel for your bilge, livewell, running lights is always mounted in the back for a tiller style. hence that is why i replaced the switch panel to move it up to the dash where it belonged. if your panel is mounted on the dash check with lund and see if they have a panel with a receptical.

Weatherproof receptacles are the way to go, but you might also try to mount it in a somewhat sheltered location so it doesn't get rained on much while being used since your phone/GPS cord is probably not outdoor rated.

When I outfitted dad's boat with a receptical at the helm, I mounted it just under the console to keep rain off of it. It is still visible and accessable, but also somewhat protected. It is on a dedicated 10 amp circuit for running spotlights, but we find it is mostly useful for the purposes you are suggesting.

You don't have to protect them though - I just like to when possible.

Mount it where it is most convenient for you to access. Depending on your specific receptical, it may be possible to disassemble it and pass it thru a hole you drill in the dash. Reassembled it will hold itself in place and be flush (mostly) with the dash facing.

Just make sure you install a fuse in the wiring or either feed it directly from the fuse block or from a fused power source that won't cut anything critical (like the bilge pump or nav lights) if you find yourself in a situation where you are shorting/overloading and are popping fuses. If you run out of fuses and lose your stereo it is just an annoyance. If you lose your nav lights at night it is another situation entirely.

You can get these things at all kinds of places, but buy something that you feel is of good quality.

Best of luck.
Steve

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, buy a real marine receptacle- you'll thank yourself after a year or two. This one's made by Marinco:

Attachments

• 12Vplug.jpg
    12Vplug.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0