Add controls to '72 Johnson 25HP?

willp2

Seaman
I have a 1972 25HP tiller steer Johnson outboard. Is there anyway that controls can be added to the old thing so I can use it on a boat with steering console?

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Add controls to '72 Johnson 25HP?

Certainly. You will need the two stainless steel locks that attach the cables to the sides of the motor for shift and throttle, and a steering connector that attaches the steering cable to the front carrying handle. That depends on what kind of steering is in the boat. The remote control is called a Simplex control. Or Johnson has the same thing only they call theirs a Ship Master. They are on e-bay all the time. But if you buy a used control, make sure it has the cables included, even if they are no good. The ends of the cables are part of the control and if you don't get the cables you are going to be missing a bunch of parts. You can always replace the cables if they are no good or wrong length. They sell them here at iboats.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here are the engine connection kits, http://www.iboats.com/OMC_Johnson_E...d.217131--list_time.1184841693--view_id.40268

the steering connection depends on type you install.. teleflex.com and help. or if you want to add stick steering google ezy-glide stick steering.

this is stick steering on my 1955 15 hp rude. i made my engine connection out of a piece of angle and drilled 2 holes in it, worked great, this is my 3rd boat with stick steering.

MVC-737S.jpg

5515hp-1.jpg

willp2

Seaman

That is very helpful and looks more doable than I thought it would be.

Thanks to both of you!