Add cleat to trailer?

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Roller trailers should allow 1 person to climb in the boat and let the boat roll back far enough with a bow line. To SAFELY submerge the drive water pump. Allow warmup. Walk up trailer neck. Holding the bow line. Step off trailer on to dry ground. Walk boat to the dock if available. Go park rig.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Roller trailers should allow 1 person to climb in the boat and let the boat roll back far enough with a bow line. To SAFELY submerge the drive water pump. Allow warmup. Walk up trailer neck. Holding the bow line. Step off trailer on to dry ground. Walk boat to the dock if available. Go park rig.
Great plan if your ramp is steep enough. Around my area the ramps are pretty flat and can be difficult to get enough angle to roll off. This is one reason I like a full roller trailer, just because of the type ramps we have.
Bunk trailers can be difficult to get in far enough to float your boat. Whatever type ramp you have in your area, your trailer needs setup accordingly.

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I refuse to use long shallow ramps. Drop off the trailer & hit bottom of hull on the ramp. Use of a ..Break Neck ..trailer to struggle to get the bow started onto the trailer. Been there 2 times doing that in my long life. NEVER AGAIN I go to easier ramps. Or use waders. Or go with enough people to manhandle the boat ON and OFF safely.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My local ramp was redone so it’s not falling apart but it’s still shallow. So I use the full roller trailer and I got the boat as low as I can get it by getting different crossmember brackets from Load Rite. That and a 4x4 Jeep with limited slips front & rear & V8 power. To use a nice steep ramp with a dock I have to drive 1/2 hr to the ramp then drive the boat 45 min back to my home harbor which is right behind my house. The old ramp was so beat up I used bias ply trailer tires because they have stronger sidewalls than radials.
2007 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi, 330 hp and 375 ft lbs of torque, Quadradrive-II 4x4 system
end of season 2023 2.jpg

Last edited:
Attach line to bow cleat
Wrap line around winch post once, twice tops
Back boat into water
Back off winch until line comes tight
Remove winch hook
Use tension to control boat as it rolls off trailer.
A slight variation that I also always do:

1. Back boat into water first
2. Attach line to BOW EYE (not a cleat)
3. Wrap line around winch post at least once to lock the line
4. Back off winch until the line becomes tight
5. Remove winch hook
6. Slowly unwrap line from winch post.

If need be you can give the boat a push. I boat grip tape and lined my entire trailer (both sides of the wishbone and the tongue). That way I can safely walk on the trailer when launching and retrieving without slipping.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A slight variation that I also always do:

1. Back boat into water first
2. Attach line to BOW EYE (not a cleat)
Unfortunately, that wouldn't work for me.

Roller trailer with electric winch.
5/8" rode would not fit through bow eye with winch still attached.
Use the "bow lifting ring" (center line cleat) rated for the weight of the boat

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My boat sits on a mooring with 2 pennant lines that are looped around each front cleat. It’s been out there in 40 mph gusts when storms roll thru with no problems. If you never use a mooring you don’t usually think about your cleats but I check them before launching the boat every season.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My boat sits on a mooring with 2 pennant lines that are looped around each front cleat. It’s been out there in 40 mph gusts when storms roll thru with no problems. If you never use a mooring you don’t usually think about your cleats but I check them before launching the boat every season.
When getting a new to you boat, you should check the cleats to be sure they are secure and have proper backing. Nothing worse than a cleat coming off and watching tour boat drift away !