Add a toon??

Pappy24

Seaman
Howdy, Have a 2003 32 Tracker Pontoon with a 115 Merc ,just finished 1st season with Her. Love the boat. Only issue... with more than 3-4 people on the forward deck She plows to near the top of the toons. I have no water intrusion. Thinking about adding a center pontoon. Any suggestions/experience? Thanks and God Bless this great country.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Add a toon??

It isnt hard to do, it just takes money and work.

fergusmj

Cadet

greatlakesskipper has logs on their site for center toon applications. Doesn't seem like it'd be too much effort other than $.

arntarchie

Seaman Apprentice

My wife and daughter helped me add one to are 24footer, never took the boat off the trailer. best thing that we ever did don't think a toon is finished until it has 3 logs.... + a 40 gal in log fuel cell. we used a 25 foot log and hung the extra foot out the back, the 115 now sits 24 inches farther back then it did in the old pod and dog house and the boat now banks in the turns do to the extra levrig also added 2 extra cross braces to stiffen her up in the back and filled in the old dog house opening for more storage under the sun deck.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would agree that it's worth the extra trouble to re-mount the motor a bit further back on a center toon that’s made for it. It would be easier to add a center toon and stop short of the motor pod and not mess with the motor, but for the extra cost I would go for re-locating the motor on the new center toon. I also did the internal fuel tank and got rid of the famous ugly red tanks. Another feature I went with was a floor storage compartment that will hold a ton of stuff. We use it for all the skies, paddles, noodles etc. Things to consider when moving the motor back is the length of the wiring harness, steering cable, shifter cable and throttle cable. For max performance get a longer center toon and move the motor back and extend the connections/cables as needed. Use the extra room for a swim platform or new area in the boat. For economics & performance, get a longer center toon and move the motor back but make sure your connections will hook up with the least amount of trouble. For the most economical and the least performance and least trouble, get a center toon thats shorter and leave your motor alone.

I went with a longer center toon slightly deeper than the outer toons and with lifting strakes, inboard fuel tank, inboard floor storage, heavy duty motor mount on the end of the toon. I had to extend my 12 volt power wiring but not the motor wiring. Surprisingly I found enough extra length in my steering cable and throttle cables. I also skinned the underside of the boat and later added lifting strakes to the outer toons. (Caution note: Get someone that knows how to add the strakes and weld them on if you do that part). It’s a 22 footer (plus a little out back for the motor), lifting strakes on all three toons, ’94 150 hp Johnson and 5 inch jack plate. Power Tech off-shore 4 blade prop vented. It runs top end in the upper 30’s almost 40 mph gps. It runs strong and easy on top of the water at 32 - 35 mph in the 4,000 – 4,500 rpm range without wot.

After looking back at your post, I dont know if you will ever get the 32 footer on top of the water with a 115 hp, but the center toon should help pick it up and ride taller. It's a toss-up on speed; you may gain a mph or two, break even or lose a mph or two. It's all about lift, drag, horse power and added weight. My guess on your rig is a break even speed to +1 mph and a much nicer float and a higher ride.

Pappy24

Seaman

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Not really interested in the speed more for the ride and nose diving problem. I''ll most likely go for the 3rd toon short of remounting the motor. Thanks again and God Bless this great country.

BBHSKYNYRD

Recruit

I added a 3rd log to my 20' pontoon 2 years ago. I read a lot of forums before making the decision. I bought the log for $150 off craigslist, paid a friend $100 to cut it to length and mounted it. My center log only runs about 3/4 of the length of my boat (15'). It performed great, but I had some issues getting on a plane and playing with the trim. I then had my transom-well welded shut to add extra flotation. With a 115hp Yamaha I can run over 30mph and hold 8 people without "digging in". Great move, took some engineering to get the right, but in the end I would never go back.