Add a side console to a 1988 Lund S16-DLX

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My uncle has a 1988 Lund S16DLX with a 1989 Johnson 25hp tiller on it (J25TELESB).

He's in his 80s and is getting a bit old for using the tiller and wanted to know if there was a way to add a side console to the boat.

I can probably get a decent aftermarket side console for it and running the cables for steering and controls won't be really difficult either. A seat can be easily added to the bench/locker lid on the right side as well.

The biggest issue is getting the controls for the motor. I can get almost everything except the shift linkage pieces.

I could possibly convince him to get a new 25hp 4 stroke and that would make the entire problem a LOT easier. But the controls and console are already going to be fairly expensive and I'd like to save him some money of possible.

Any ideas?

Here are some pictures I took last summer that might help.

Attachments

• 1989 Johnson 25hp Tiller Electric Long Shaft.jpg
    1989 Johnson 25hp Tiller Electric Long Shaft.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Data Plate.jpg
    Data Plate.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Inside Looking Aft.jpg
    Inside Looking Aft.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Inside Looking Forward.jpg
    Inside Looking Forward.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Motor and Transom.jpg
    Motor and Transom.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6

airshot

Rear Admiral
Popular motor, so controls should be easy to find, at least they are in my area. We have boat junk yards in my area, if his motor runs well, why soend big bucks for a heavy expensive new motor?

gsh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Popular motor, so controls should be easy to find, at least they are in my area. We have boat junk yards in my area, if his motor runs well, why soend big bucks for a heavy expensive new motor?
That's just it. I can find everything except the parts that connect the gear shift/throttle cables to the motor.

Without those I can't do anything with the current motor.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Is there a keyed hole on the front of the motor in the bar that goes across the front ?? If so, you can even make that connector, made many in my younger days.