Add a Battery Kit with two different Batteries

bvav22

Cadet
I have been looking for a an answer on this and I cannot seem to find anything definitive. I just bought the add a battery kit since I want to add a 800cca battery as my starting battery and use a group 27 deep cycle as my house. Does anyone else use two different batteries with this ACR setup?

I understand running two different batteries in parallel is not recommended. My only concern is that when I shut the switch off, the ACR will not open and the start battery will discharge to the house.

Thanks!

Its common to use different batteries which is why a acr makes a great addition.
acr works on voltage and will only close when the voltage is 13v+. The max voltage for a battery not being charged is 12.6v so when the engine is turned off the acr will not remain closed.

Splat

Lieutenant
Also you CAN run two different capacity batteries in parallel, as long as the voltages are the same. The smaller one will not drain before the larger one, despite popular belief.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's fine what you are doing.

The batteries will never be discharging while the ACR is connected since it will only be connected while they are charging.