Actuator rebuild

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m looking to rebuild my power steering actuator. It’s from a 1990 alpha 1 gen 1. Has anyone been successful at rebuilding? Anything special that I should be aware of? Searching the net seems like most parts are no longer made. Im assuming it’s mostly seals and cleaning. I’ve removed it from the boat. Just looking for advice. Any help would be appreciated.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The older style ones with the control valve that has 2 hydraulic lines attached to it can be rebuilt because that valve is the same as what was used on Corvettes & unit body Ford products like the Mustang. Those parts and sone of the seals for the hydraulic cylinder are still available.
The newer ones where the control valve is integral to the actuator I’m not sure about. Both Merc & OMC used the old style (separate control valve) till about 1988/89 then switched to the newer style.

Drivewayboater2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it! It has 2 hoses so I assume I’m in luck. I’ll search on you tube under Corvette power steering actuator rebuild. Here’s what I’ve got( one hose already removed) sorry didn’t get a full pic. 04DA6A3D-4F41-4E0E-9628-F2A3DCB84D4F.jpeg Thank you for the input

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that's the old version. Check on Corvette and Mustang restoration websites for parts and rebuild instructions.
I was able to find a good used unit for my OMC on ebay. I also have the rebuild kits as well. Removal isn't fun!
PS these have a grease fitting on the back side of them, do not overgrease, just a pump once a year is enough to lube the ball stud inside.
I had the same thing (the cylinder is slightly different) on a 1970 Ford Torino we owned years ago.

Attachments

• steerng actuator removal.jpg
    steerng actuator removal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4