acrylic windshield

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer
I need a new windshield for my side console walleye boat. A branch fell during a storm and broke the original one. I'm wondering if someone could tell me if there is a way to bend acrylic (I need somewhere around a 1/2" or so radius of curvature) without having a strip heater. Can it be done with a heat gun? Also, the cut edges will need to be sanded and polished (with a wheel or flame?). I can buy one from the boat manufacturer, but it will be close to $200, and this seems like a lot for what it is. Thanks!

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
Re: acrylic windshield

I just did this for my 1970 Starcraft. The original was 3/16" and bent on the corners at a 45. So, I cut a template to match, clamped it where the bend is, and heated it with a torch on both top and bottom, and it worked great. But.... be cautious, you can burn and/or bubble the plexi very easily... constant moving and even heat are key! Practice with a scrap piece first!

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I made a motorcycle faring with several complex curves by using STEAM! Make up a huge pot of boiling water and scoop it over the bending parts of your projec, or dip if you can. Its safer than flames and the heat is dispersed over a wider area so NO bubbles. Iused towels to hold the hot water on the project and bended with tools and by hand...<br /><br />I did, however flame finish the edges.<br /><br />S-666

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Steam? How thick was the acrylic you were using? I think the stuff I would use for my windshield would be about 3/16".

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried the heat gun method of heating and found it is real easy to bubble if you don't keep the gun moving. After much investigation I came up with an oven that uses a torpedo heater to heat and a simple form to let the plexiglas form to. There is a write up about it at www.fiberglasics.com under the How To section. To make 2 windshields and the oven for my boat only cost me a total of about $70 and a couple hours work. Both windshields came out perfect.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bill, I'll have to check out that article when I have time.

65Fabuglass

Seaman Apprentice

I am about to make a new winshield for my runabout I was told to use a good hairdryer tried it on a small scrap piece and it worked very well just have to keep the heat moving.