Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, too busy

• No, not important

• Total voters

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
After a recent experience I would like to know who still acknowledges immediate family special occasions.
Edit: Let me add the reason I ask. I send a card or call every one of my siblings(5), in-laws, nephews/nieces and parents for birthdays. I thought it was a nice thing to do and I enjoy doing it. I don't get anything(call, card,nada). I'm tired of it, so I want to know what's up. So I sent the family an e-mail asking if its important to remember special occasions. If not I need to know so I don't set myself up for disappointment anymore. So far, 2out of 8 say no and Mom says yes. Okay, now I ask you.
I live 250 miles away from everyone. They all live within 15 minutes of each other. I know the miles make me feel left out at times, so I'm sure that's part of the hurt.
Bassy

heycods

Captain
Re: Acknowledging special occasions

Not necessisarily send. I generaly talk to them about b-days and such. We dont do the guift thing much as all the kids are grown. Wife and I exchange little guifts. I misssed your other post befour the edit so I dont know where your comming from on this. yes I have forgotten our aniversary. Last year we both forgot it. but I remembered it first, so I pretended to be hurt because wife forgot my aniversary. We still laugh over that one. so No I probably dont make a fuss over thoes ocasions.
In fact Im a lot like my mother on birthday partys. I would prefer not to have one.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Bassy, It has always been a standard in our family that if your under adult age, you get something. Once your an adult in our family, usually a phone call wishing and acknowleding their special occassion.

On Mothers day, all my mom wanted was to hear from her kids. She didn't want flowers, cards, or candy. She just wanted to hear our voices. That held true for any occassion except Christmas,,,,,,,and then you better be home for the holiday!

mattttt25

Commander

some people do the card thing, others do not. i'll be honest and say i rarely send a card. i remember my parent's birthdays, call them on that day, and give a present the next time i see them. but i'm a phone person and usually talk to everyone at least once every week or so.

more importantly, i suggest trying to avoid the family drama. my mom lives for it- this brother did this, this nephew pissed me off, i sent a card, i got no reply, he was rude to me, etc, etc, etc. life is too short to get caught up in that. i hear it in your post, and just recommend that you let it go, you'll be much happier. if it makes you feel good, keep sending those cards and know that people do feel good when they receive them.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Pop a top or pour yourself your favourite drink, take a look up at the night sky and then ask yourself, what's it really all about?
The reply you get back will astound you.:devil:

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I voted yes, But rarely send anything. Like most everybody else I do take time out to make, "The Phone Call". But like Mattt said "keep sending those cards and know that people do feel good when they receive them" even if they don't acknowledge reciept.

Bassy your heart is definately in the right place to take time out to acknowledge special occassions in your family, just remember the old saying,,,,,It's better to give than recieve,,,,,so keep giving knowing that it puts a warm feeling in their heart and a smile on their face when they recieve it. :p

BTW your just better than they are. ;)

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I voted yes as we always send B'day cards to our immediate family members, however I do rely totaly on my wife to do the job.

KaGee

Admiral

Bassy, my wife has the same situation... she continues with her parents, but she no longer does the siblings or their offspring. All they are is a bunch self absorbed ingrats, who think the world revolves around them only. Screw them!.

PW2

Commander

Bassy, you'll find in this world there are lots of people that treat birthdays and special occasions as special and important, and lots of people that simply don't.

I count myself in the latter group. Not that it's right or wrong, but simply reality.

If you feel better sending a card, by all means do. Just don't expect the recipient to feel the same as you

Link

Rear Admiral

richard.shinner said:
I voted yes as we always send B'day cards to our immediate family members, however I do rely totaly on my wife to do the job.
Yup me too. ps voted yes.

Every Nov/Dec when the new calander gets here (we make them now)
Mrs.Link sits down and fills in the next year for all 12 months.
Each month she buys all the cards and puts them on the desk for me to sign when needed. We do this for both sides of the family. I should say she does :)

Her three sisters and Mom always send a B-day cards.
My kids have only sent me one B-day card but when they got together they did it right.
Special delivery as the dern thing was 2ft X 3ft signed by all three.

But they always call on fathers day and B-day.

For us recieving them it doesnt matter. But Mrs.Link enjoys sending them. arrrrg I thought that was e-cards were for! :devil: