Acceptable trailering?

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I'll make this short and sweet. I have a 19 ft Sylvan Sport Select that I believe is in the 1900# range, dry with 115hp Mercury 4cyl, 2 stroke. The trailer should be in the 5-800 pound range. I towed it behind a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica for 5 years. Fast forward to today. I bought a 2017 GMC Terrain, SLE2 with AWD, 6cyl and a factory 1 1/4" class 2 hitch. I'm supposed to be good for 3500# trailer and 350# tongue weight. I've been towing all my life boats around the country. So please spare me the semantics and gory details of failed towing experiences. I've seen them all. My question is this: I'm going from a vehicle with a 2" receiver to a vehicle with 1 1/4"receiver. Will it bear the load? Typical fishing trip is 2 dudes in a truck with a day's supply of food and drink for about a hundred miles at most. And not every weekend. I know GMC makes a stock 2" hitch, but it's load rated class 2 as well. I won't be towing anything else, so should I keep the 11/4 or do i HAVE to have 2"? I just don't see the need to upgrade when the ball receiver on the trailer is only rated class 2. It is a 2" ball btw.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I towed with an Equinox (Chevy version of the Terrain) for 9 years with a boat of similar weight. It had the factory towing package with a factory 1 1/4" hitch. I didn't give it a second thought.

dwco5051

Commander
I wouldn't worry about the smaller receiver size as it sounds like you are only towing about 85% of the hitch rating. I don't know what the design safety factor for the hitch is but I would guess that you could put a lot whole more on that "skinny" looking receiver before it would fail.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If your towing weight is under the hitch rating, why would there be an issue?

alumistar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the replies. To answer back, I would say my only reason for even asking is trust. All the hitches and receivers I've ever towed with have been 2 inch. So, it just came down to a trust issue. Again, I thank you all for your opinions. I guess I'll run to auto zone and get me a 11/4 mount 😀

airshot

Rear Admiral
I understand your apprehension, I remember the first time I had to use a 11/4" reciever, it looked so small and weak!!! Had to convince myself it would work.....as long as your weight is within limits your good. Be sure to check capcity on the hitch part attached to your vehicle !!! They do make lite duty units for bicycle carriers that are only rated for 500 lbs, some up to 1000lbs. My wifes Honda has one of the lite duty units, bolted together with small nuts and bolts, quite obvious, but do check that out. Hitch itself should be stamped with tow capacity

Horigan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If it were me, I would verify the tongue weight at a minimum.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Class 2 is up to 3500lbs. So if your unit is less below that, you are fine. 2" Balls can be had in both Class 2 or Class 3 versions.
I did tow my current boat with a Class 2 Hitch for a couple of years, though it was exceeding the capacity by a couple of hundred pounds. One night some drunk rear ended the hitch, bending it, so he every so nicely bought me a Class 3 Hitch. This was after he grabbed my throat at the Scene of the Accident, and then took off, but left me with his Drivers License, Pink Card, and Registration. Henry Handcuff didn't have much trouble locating him

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I’ll start by saying I do not know anything about your particular boat. But if that boat is fiberglass then I think you may be exceeding your 3500 lb tow capacity. Boat, 115 hp motor, trailer, fuel and equipment very possibly more than 3500 lbs. In addition I’d take a look at your GVWR . In any event I’d get the boat and trailer weighed so you know what you’re dealing with.