Acceptable to use aluminum plate as outboard shim?

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I moved the CMC tilt/trim unit from one hull to another identical hull, and like a doofus, drilled the holes in the wrong spot...on the old hull, the CMC was mounted as far up as it would go, leaving the top of the plate mounted over the aluminum strip at the top and leaving a small gap between most of the unit and the transom since it was mounted on a bit of an angle.

20231009_080805.jpg
I thought this was sloppy, so mounted in on the "new" hull so the top of the CMC was just below the aluminum strip....then found the outboard mounting bracket hit the aluminum near the middle of the tilt range...doh!
20231009_082139.jpg

So I'm going to remount it higher, using some thin aluminum plate to shim the CMC out so that it clears the aluminum strip at the top of the transom, and can still fit flat to the transom.

Good idea? Horrible idea from someone who has no business being around boats?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That transom looks to be rotten to the core.-------I would do a good inspection on it.

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The first picture was on the old hull, just to better show the aluminum strip I was talking about. Transom actually feels solid on that one, but the deck had rotted out.

Once I added up what replacement plywood and fiberglass was going to cost me, plus the time it was going to take to split the hull, it made more sense to get the replacement hull I found cheap due to that PO having neglected to check the oil level on the LU - which was zero, leading to lockup, a pissed off wife, and a dirt cheap selling price, lol.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
floors rot 15 years after the transom rotted.

regarding the new one. usually aluminum plates are a band-aid. however since you are trying to fix an ohh....crap, feel free.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep...unless replaced in the past few years, that boat needs a new transom !! As a 60 plus year boater, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the nymber of foljs that said " that transom feels solid..no issues there" only to find them selves in serious trouble shortly after. Working at a marina in my younger days I was privey to helping a few salvage what was left of their boats and motors that had a solid feeling transoms !! Please don't assume or think....do the proper tests to know for sure !!